Filling tapes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running Data Protection Manager 2012 sp1 rollup 2.

I run daily backups that expire after 1 month and backups on the 1st of the month that last 31 years.

We want the tapes to fill up before going Off Site Ready. So we leave monthly tapes in the loader so they can be used if not filled the month before. Because of this I have set my write period to 7 weeks and expiry tolerance to 7 days.

I have an LTO5 tapes that contains 4,153,471,75MB and Data Protection Manager 2012 has started to use a new tape. I would assume this tape would be full otherwise it wouldn't have moved on to a new tape.

What am I missing?

Best wishes

Michael

Friday, September 6, 2013 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems the tape is full as it exceeds the 3tb compressed capacity.  Is it marked offsite ready ?

As per http://lto.org/technology/index.html

LTO-1 = 100GB native capacity  200GB Compressed
    LTO-2 = 200GB Native capacity  400GB Compressed
    LTO-3 = 400GB Native capacity  800GB Compressed
    LTO-4 = 800GB Native capacity  1.6TB Compressed
    LTO-5 = 1.5TB  Native capacity  3TB   Compressed.  <----

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 6, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hi Mike,

No it isn't. That is my problem :). That server does contain very compressable text data. We used to go over 1.6TB on LTO4 tapes as well from time to time.

Best wishes

Michael

Friday, September 6, 2013 3:35 PM
  • So, the only issue you are reporting is that the offsite ready is not being set when you believe it should be ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 6, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Yes, but I wanted to cover all the bases with anything you might ask.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

OK, I have seen if a tape gets filled and we start a new tape, when the next job starts is may pull yet another new tape.  This leaves you with two partially filled tapes. Then the next day, the first partially filled tape will get used and filled, then another new tape will be grabbed.  It seem we hop-scotch between filling tapes and grabbing new ones.  But eventually, all tapes should be filled and marked as offsite ready if used long enough.

Could that explain what you are seeing ?

Monday, September 9, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Maybe so. It is hard to tell. We have 3 tape units in total and the others seem fine. I will keep an eye on it.

Cheers

Michael

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:56 AM
  • I have a similar issue. Fresh install Server 2008 R2 SP1, DPM 2012 SP1 UR2, HP G3 series MSL2024 (LTO-6). Disk backups are fine. Backup to tape keeps failing with ID 3311. The first tape completes after 300-800GB (seemingly random) while the second tape fills up to 4.2 TB then the rest of the tape backup jobs fail! I've tried new tapes, drive cleaning, and registry hacks from this link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ad799468-73d0-42ba-ad75-1a5fe6c0806a/error-protecting-primary-dpm-server Could it be something with co-location? Wondering if I could force the large chunk to write on the first tape? Maybe I need UR3?
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:31 PM
  • Hoogenboom, your problem may be due to under the covers IO errors, see the following blog for other registry tweaks.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:41 PM