none
Windows Explorer favorites script or instant regedit? (win7 question) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very specific need for my Windows 7 environnement.

I need to write a script capable of adding to Windows Explorer's Favorites (not IE!!) a specific shortcut. The language of the script doesn't matter that much as long as it can be ran from the Startup folder. I prefer vbs or a simple regedit as long as the shortcut appears right away without the need to logoff.

The reason for this specific need is because I want each user that log to the computer have that shortcut (it will point to a network drive, U:\). The computers have deepfreeze installed (this is why a relog or reboot cannot be a solution).

I tried to add this shortcut BEFORE doing a sysprep in the administrator profile and then set the copyprofile variable to TRUE. But this customization is deleted by the process (thank you to whoever tought of this in the Microsoft team /sarcasm).

If there is a way to do the same thing with the xml file used for the sysprep, I'm willing to hear about it as well!

Thank you very much!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Just to confirm, this can be done very simply with Group Policy Preferences -> Files.  I just created a shortcut, copied that up to the sysvol share, and then used "Files" to copy that to "%userprofile%\links\<your-chosen-name>.lnk".

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, November 14, 2011 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Jönathan

I'm just looking at doing the same thing myself.  It looks like that list is just composed of the contents of a folder at c:\users\<username>\links

The solution should therefore just be to create a shortcut in that area for each user.  You could use a logon script or use "Files" in Group Policy Preferences.  The former would be most useful when each user needs a different location, the latter would seem simpler if the location is always the same.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:15 PM
  • hi,

you can use a logon script to map a network drive, you don't need an icon for this, users must know that they have it available for working, it's called home folder. Do you mean this?

you can create a single shared drive for everybody or you can manage a personal home folder for each

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Just to confirm, this can be done very simply with Group Policy Preferences -> Files.  I just created a shortcut, copied that up to the sysvol share, and then used "Files" to copy that to "%userprofile%\links\<your-chosen-name>.lnk".

• Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, November 14, 2011 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:08 AM