Excluding files from shadow copy. %AllVolumes% or $AllVolumes$ ? RRS feed

• Question

• In the Microsoft support article Excluding Files from Shadow Copies they say that there is an %AllVolumes% variable. The location in the registry though already has a bunch of multi-string values that contain $AllVolumes$. Is one more correct than the other?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We do need more time to make research about this phenomenon, please be paint.

Thanks for your understanding!

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

I checked Windows 7, Windows 8, both of them using $ not %. Based on my researching, $UserProfile$ should be stands for All user profile in current system, but %UserProfile% stands for current User Profile.

I also find another thread that talking about this phenomenon. According to the reply of MAtt, it seems like there is a problem with this library, you can access to the link below for more details:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/how-do-i-exclude-certain-files-and-folders-from/e3a77ff2-caa0-405d-9fb7-3cf26841cb23

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 4, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Roger I don't understand. Can you ask someone at Microsoft who works on the shadow copy system what the difference is between $AllVolumes$ and %AllVolumes%?
    Friday, December 5, 2014 3:52 AM
  • Hi popchoc,

I have reported this issue to related team. It would take time to check the error.

We do hope the document could be corrected as soon as possible if the error is confirmed. If there is anything new about this issue, I would inform you.

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:54 AM