none
DPM 2012 r2 UR 7 secondary server console crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Primary DPM server and a secondary dpm server. Both dpm 2012 r2, running on windows server 2012 r2.

Aweek ago i had to remove a few servers from the protection group of the primary server and delete their replicas ,due to backup disk pool running full.

I left the protected server data alone on the secondary server incase of disaster, so we could at least recover from that point in time.

After i added more disks to the primary dpm server i re-added the now unprotected servers to the same protection group they used to belong too, and this worked fine. The secondary dpm server did ofcourse not like this, so after the primary server had a full backup of the "new" servers, i deleted the replicas from the secondary server and tried to re add them from the primaryserver, as i would have with any other new server to protect.

This worked with all but one specific server. When i add the "problem server" to its protection group the console crashed when i get to the wizard page that calculates the amount of storage.

I think i had the UR 7 with problems installed on both servers, because i also noticed that the pruneshadowcopies script did not work. I have installed the fixed UR7 now on both DPM Servers,but the console crash still occurs exactly the same way.

I have also tried to do the "refresh" during selection of the protected server, but this does also not help.

When the console crashes i get no errors in the primary server, but i do get application events on the secondary server.

First MSDPM event 999 Description cannot be found, in the details it states: exception message - object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Then event Windows error reporting id 1001 comes twice refrencing a tmp xml file wich states about the same as the 999 event : 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <WatsonInfo xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <ExceptionList>
        <ExceptionEntry>
          <Exception_x0020_Type_x000D__x000A_>System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException</Exception_x0020_Type_x000D__x000A_>
          <StackTrace_x000D__x000A_>   at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()</StackTrace_x000D__x000A_>
          <message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</message>
          <targetSite>System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection`1[System.Management.Automation.PSObject] Invoke(System.Collections.IEnumerable)</targetSite>
        </ExceptionEntry>
        <ExceptionEntry>
          <Exception_x0020_Type_x000D__x000A_>System.NullReferenceException</Exception_x0020_Type_x000D__x000A_>
          <StackTrace_x000D__x000A_>   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.FileSystem.FsDataSource.NodeTypeForSizeInquiry()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.VolumeSizeInquiry.GetSpecs()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.ProtectionInquiry.AddInquiryTasks()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.ProtectionInquiry.Run()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.ProtectableObject.GetSizeAsync(Object tag)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.TriggerSizeInquiry.ProcessDatasourcesAndRunSizeInquiry()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.GetDiskAllocation.CallBackForDiskAllocation(Object[] paramsList)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.GetDiskAllocation.DoProcessing()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.Utils.DpmCmdletBase.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()</StackTrace_x000D__x000A_>
          <message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</message>
          <targetSite>Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.ConfigurationManager.InquiryNodeType NodeTypeForSizeInquiry()</targetSite>
        </ExceptionEntry>
      </ExceptionList>
      <UICulture>en-US</UICulture>
      <Culture>nb-NO</Culture>
      <CLRVersion>4.0.30319.34209</CLRVersion>
      <OSVersion>Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0</OSVersion>
      <BucketingParametersValue>
        <Other>3C5528E533D7398C</Other>
        <ExceptionPoint>System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke</ExceptionPoint>
        <ExceptionName>System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException</ExceptionName>
        <ModuleVersion>6.3.9600.16384</ModuleVersion>
        <ModuleName>mmc.exe</ModuleName>
        <ApplicationVersion>4.2.1205.0</ApplicationVersion>
        <ApplicationName>mmc</ApplicationName>
      </BucketingParametersValue>
      <Info>Microsoft Data Protection Manager Exception Record</Info>
    </WatsonInfo>

Every post i have seen have been about errors like this being fixed with the last UR7 update, but i still get this error, but only on this specific server. 

The server that is failing is a physical file server, with about 1 TB of file storage, the server also have domain controller roles.

Anyhelp is highly appreciated

Fredrik

• Edited by Fredrik Weme Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Fredrik,

A Microsoft team published the following article today. Maybe it is related to your problem: 
    Expanding a server in the Microsoft DPM console causes the UI to crash

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Thank you, i will try that today.

Fredrik

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:03 AM
  • Unfortunately this did not change anything for me. And in the blog it is mention it fixed crash when selecting the server. I can select the server and go through the wizard, but it still crashes the same way when opening the "Review Disk Allocation" page. The console the crashes and a mmc error comes. 

• Edited by Fredrik Weme Thursday, September 17, 2015 7:33 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 7:33 AM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?

MrGoodBytes

• Edited by MrGoodBytes Friday, November 6, 2015 3:04 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 3:04 AM
  • I just helped a customer resolve this issue. It turned out that the secondary server had some "active" protection of data sources that were no longer protected on the primary. Removing protection for these (making them inactive) did the trick for us.

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Proposed as answer by MrGoodBytes Monday, November 9, 2015 5:35 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 5:28 AM
  • That's right Rajeev. We happen to be the customer you fixed this for ;)

Great work!

MrGoodBytes

Monday, November 9, 2015 5:36 AM