none
Losing local custom task fields RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Pro 2010 and Project Server 2010.  The end user has created any number of local custom fields and is using Enterprise custom fields as well.  The user can save the file to the server and check-in with no error messages.  When opening the file the local custom field values are all set to blank.  The Enterprise custom fields retain their values.

I have created a test project plan using Project Pro 2010 and I'm not able to replicate the issue with the newly created test project. 

I can take a copy of the end users' local file that contains values in the local custom fields and replicate the error on my machine.  I also instructed the end user to try the same operation on another machine and the problem exists there as well.  It seems specific to the plan file.  Tracing back it appears as if these local custom fields were saving and working correctly prior to January of this year.  So, this did work on this plan previously, but it doesn't work now.

We are not patching as we should and hope to have that issue resolve by the end of April.  Neither server no client has SP1, but they didn't have SP1 prior to January either.

I don't have any good theories on what is happening here.  All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Eric Engle

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric.

Not sure, but he is probably adding local fields on a corporate view (which are defined in the Enterprise Global).

With no permission to do so, he loses the changes.

He should try to change the view prior to a non-corporate view, before adding the fields.

Hope this helps.

Juan Pablo.
    surpoint.blogspot.com
    jpussacq.me
    @jpussacq

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

He loses the values in the fields, not the fields themselves. 

Right now it appears that the values in the lookup validation tables are lost.  So, the lookup table becomes blank.  This may be the first step as I continue to try and replicate what is happening to us.  Once the lookup table is blank, then it may be that Server thinks all of the values in the field are not valid and it saves blanks for that field into all records.

Is this sounding familiar to anyone else yet?

Eric Engle

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Is it just this project or all projects?

If all, where they all created from the same template?

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:12 PM
  • The 2 projects that are using these particular custom fields are impacted; however, there are many projects using Project Server with local custom fields that are not impacted. No, there are no templates in use at this time (keep meaning to get to that!). Thanks, Eric

Eric Engle

Friday, March 30, 2012 4:30 PM
  • I remember we found a similar behavior on a client.

We saw less values in ProjectPro​​. Compared with the lookup table in PWA. We solve the issue using administrative restore:

Server Settings / Database Administration / Administrative Restore (selecting Enterprise Custom Fields).

This was previously tested in a test environment.

I hope this will be useful.

Juan Pablo.
    surpoint.blogspot.com
    jpussacq.me
    @jpussacq

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:08 PM
  • for sure try out what Juan suggested and let us know what happens.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Hi Engle !

Could you check the following in your broken project.  Are  ALL local fields assigned to empty lookup tables ??

Vadim Gerya, PMP

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hey guys,

Thanks for your comments.  This remains an open issue for us and we are scraping for time to spend on it.

The admin restore didn't work.  One concern is that the project scheuduler didn't notice that the fields were not stored for several months.  The scheduler had been storing the project locally and updating server only when monthly reporting was executed.  So, we don't have a reliable historian to speak to the problem timeline.

No, not all the local fields are assigned to empty lookup tables.  However, the lookup tables do appear to be involved in the defect as well.  It appears that the lookup table becomes blank, and then the field values follow therafter, but I'm not perfectly clear on it yet.

Thanks again, Eric

Eric Engle

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:03 PM
  • We have made a few fixes around custom fields Eric, but looking at one particular bug there was an issue where local flag fields could be lost if the user cleared the project from their local cache.  So perhaps a behavior change by the PM led to this after January.  We fixed this in the August 2011 CU for the Project client.  There have also been a few issues with local fields and master/sub projects - could this be related?  As you say, tricky to isolate when the problem apparently happened a while back. Hopefully you will get patched to something recent and not have new issues.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:46 PM
    Owner