local Time In Sharepoint 2007 different from SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

sever : windows server 2003 R2 SP1

moss : 2007

SQL Server : 2005  SP2

.Net Framework : 3.5 SP1

my local time is GMT+3:30

When i create or modify every thing in sharepoint for examples create item in list or library , it has been register in SQL's tables(sharepoint content database)  in GMT time not in GMT+3:30 !!!

where is the problem?!!!

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 1, 2011 12:24 PM This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Community Advancement. Take more care in choosing the forum to post to. (From:SharePoint - Community Advancement (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hey Farhad,

Sharepoint internally will keep the time in Universal Time means GMT.

Why it is doing? . For example you have three different locale sites in your site collection.Site1 for US user , Site2 for UK users , Site3 for Japan Users.When users log into the site sharepoint will show the data based on sites' regional setting.

In another scenario it need to publish the document based on publishing Data time.In each of the site publishing time will be different based on regional setting but still it will publish document on right time because all the time data in sharepoint are internally kept in GMT.And it will get converted corresponding site regional setting when it come to processing.This happens internally.

• Marked as answer by Farhad J Monday, January 10, 2011 5:43 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• Change the time zone on the site collection
    Site Actions > Site Settings > [Site Administration] Regional Settings > Time Zone.

Also may want to set the default at the web app level:
    Central Admin > Application Management > Web Application General Settings > Default Time Zone

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Site setting and web application general setting is right (GMT+3:30) , also timer job too do right in time but when data transfer to sql , local time go lost !!!

how i can solve this problem?

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Is your WFE and SQL Server box set to be in the same time zone? Presume they will be being in the same domain.
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hi Soumya

WFE and SQL server are on same server and both set to same time zone. both are in same domain.

where is the problem?!!!

may it be accure in .net framework? 

sharepoint show all data in local time and sql register all data in ocal time(except sharepoint content database)!!!

where is the problem?!!!

Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Farhad,

If this is not a production environment, can you create a new web site site collection from scratch and check whether the problem exists there too.

Do you have multiple environments and is this problem found across environments?

Thanks

Thanks Soumya
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:36 AM
  • i create new site collection and in new site collection this problm occur too.

i customize and check 4 CONDITION in other server that install all things as same as main server, and create below table for modifiy a item in list and modified time in SQL and MOSS as below table :

what i can do to solve the problem?!!!!

Server Time Zone XML Time Zone Server Time SQL Time MOSS Time
    1: GMT GMT+3:30 09:58 09:58 01:28
    2: GMT GMT 10:00 10:00 10:00
    3: GMT+2 GMT 12:03 10:03 10:03
    4: GMT+2 GMT+3:30 12:09 10:08 01:38

Monday, January 3, 2011 11:00 AM
  • So now you have another environment to try out things. If you are suspecting .Net framework, then create a simple table and write a console program to update that table with current date and time. If in this scenario also you are able to replicate the problem, then this problem is happening irrespective of MOSS. That will be a candidate for running this problem by .Net forums as well.
    Thanks Soumya
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Site setting and web application general setting is right (GMT+3:30) , also timer job too do right in time but when data transfer to sql , local time go lost !!!

how i can solve this problem?

Are you inspecting the sharepoint content databases to get the datetime? You really shouldn't have to do that.

Does every listitem and document in your entire farm have the wrong datetime stamp on them?

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi

Yes , i inspecting the sharepoint content database , all listitem and doc in entire farm have wrong datetime stamp, even my central admin too has wrong datetime in content database.

i customize and check 4 CONDITION in other server that install all things as same as main server, and create below table for modifiy a item in list and modified time in SQL and MOSS as below table :

Server Time Zone XML Time Zone   Server Time SQL Time MOSS Time
    1: GMT GMT+3:30   09:58 09:58 01:28
    2: GMT GMT   10:00 10:00 10:00
    3: GMT+2 GMT   12:03 10:03 10:03
    4: GMT+2 GMT+3:30   12:09 10:08 01:38

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:35 AM Do not be nasty to people trying to help you. "please pay more attetion to below table!!!" removed. It should never have been in your text.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Hi IS SQL register Sharepoint datetime data in GMT or local server time ?
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Hey Farhad,

Sharepoint internally will keep the time in Universal Time means GMT.

Why it is doing? . For example you have three different locale sites in your site collection.Site1 for US user , Site2 for UK users , Site3 for Japan Users.When users log into the site sharepoint will show the data based on sites' regional setting.

In another scenario it need to publish the document based on publishing Data time.In each of the site publishing time will be different based on regional setting but still it will publish document on right time because all the time data in sharepoint are internally kept in GMT.And it will get converted corresponding site regional setting when it come to processing.This happens internally.

• Marked as answer by Farhad J Monday, January 10, 2011 5:43 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:38 PM
  • But can you change it from GMT in the back end? I am thinking there must be a setting for this, as our created date/times on reports pulled directly from the SharePoint DB used to be correct.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:33 PM