none
Offline Files with Redirect folders by GPO

Question

• Hello

Some clients (Windows 7 Sp1) are under Microsoft Domain (Win 2008 R2).

I activated the GPO for redirect folders (My Documents) to a Group of users, with offline mode enabled.

This GPO is correctly deployed to the clients, and in fact My Documents folder is correctly redirected to the server. On the client, I can work on it without any problem.

The problem is about offline files.

If I remove the network cable, or if I click on "offline" in My Documents, the files appear grey, with a grey X on them, and if I try to open them, I see a message thay say the files are not available.

On the client machines, Offline Files is enabled, and disk space for them is used.

But if I click on "visualizza file offline" (see files offline), and I try to open the files, I can't, and I see the same message that the files aren't available.

Automatic synchronisation seem to be executed correctly, in fact I see the cyan tick saying all is ok. But if I try to sync manually, every file strike the error that is impossible to access the files because the file is used by another process.

In the sync centre there aren't sync conflicts.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

in order to give a final feedback on all this, I formatted the server.

After the reinstallation, everything worked well.

• Marked as answer by Pao7575 Monday, September 19, 2016 10:12 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I activated the GPO for redirect folders (My Documents) to a Group of users, with offline mode enabled.

>>>Would you tell us how did you enable offline file? In GPO?

If you enable offline file in GPO, you could enable the setting Allow or disallow use of Offline File feature under computer configuration in GPO.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Configuring Group Policy for Offline Files

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc759721(v=ws.10).aspx

But if I click on "visualizza file offline" (see files offline), and I try to open the files, I can't, and I see the same message that the files aren't available.

>>>the files are not available? Are there any error messages?

If the message is Access is denied, I suggest you check the permission of the redirected folder.

Here is an article below about how to deploy folder redirection with offline files may helpful to you to check if there are mistakes when you deploy it.

Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649078(v=ws.11).aspx

In addition, Offline Files is enabled by default for redirected folders on Windows client computers, and disabled on computers running Windows Server, unless changed by the user.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:31 AM
  • Hi Jay, Thanks for your answer.

>>>Would you tell us how did you enable offline file? In GPO?

Yes.    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Offline Files

Action on server disconnect - Offline

Synchronize all Offline Files when logging on - Activated

Synchronize all Offline Files before logging off - Activated

First and third settings are on User Configuration too, but I know Computer takes precedence.

Offline files is correctly enabled on the clients.

>>>the files are not available? Are there any error messages?

I have a folder and a file in the documents folder.

It's interesting that when in online mode, the "offline availability" of the folder is "Always available", but the same status for the file (txt file in this case, but the same with different kinds) is "not available".

When I disconnect the cable, or press "Offline" button in the folder, I see the files greyed, with a grey X on them, and if I doble-click them, I see the message "the file is not available for the use in the computer." and the file cannot be opened.

When I disconnect the cable, however I can navigate in folders and subfolders, but every file in every folder behaves like before described (grey X).

When in online mode, the automatic synchronisation seems to work, in fact I see the cyan tick that confirms the sync was done correctly. But if I try to synchronise manually, I see on every file the error "Impossible to access the file. The file is used by another process.". In the sync centre there aren't sync conflicts.

When in offline mode, if I create a new file, the file is created without problem. I try changing to online mode and it continues working. But if I wait some minute in online mode, and then change to offline, the file turns to behave as others (grey X).

I followed the istructions word by word from the guide you wrote, and I tried on different users and PCs, and tried on different shared folders, but the behaviour is always the same. The share and NTFS rights are ok too.

The server is a Win 2008 R2 and the clients are Win 7 sp1.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:16 PM
  • The problem is still not solved, anyone?
    Friday, July 15, 2016 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you create a OU for those computers and enable the setting Allow or disallow use of the offline file feature.

Check computer configuration policy settings for offline file part of the article below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc759721(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Hi,

I see it's not a problem of the GPO itself.

I tried to redirect on a NAS and it works.

I think there is some service on the server that is holding the files, preventing the sync to work.

We use Sophos antivirus; I stopped all the services I see about it, but nothing to do, the offline sync doesn't works. How can I see which service is holding the file ?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

I am testing for checking which service is holding the file. I will post the method.

In addition, here is an article below for your reference.

Files Available When Online Are Not Available When Offline

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978341.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

the offline sync doesn't works. How can I see which service is holding the file ?

>>>To achieve your goal, you could user Process Explorer.

1. Open Process Explorer, running as administrator.
    2. Enter the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F. Altenatively, click the “Find” menu and select “Find a Handle or DLL”.
    3. A search dialog box will open.
    4. Type in the name of the locked file or other file of interest. Partial names are usually sufficient.
    5. Click the button “Search”,
    6. A list will be generated. There may be a number of entries.

You could download the tool on the link below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Thursday, July 28, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Hi Jay,

thankyou for the link.

All the settings are correct but still doesn't works.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I tried searching some name of shared file into Process Explorer, but none is found, even with partial name.

Best regards

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Hi all,

in order to give a final feedback on all this, I formatted the server.

After the reinstallation, everything worked well.

• Marked as answer by Pao7575 Monday, September 19, 2016 10:12 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2016 10:12 AM