none
Log backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question regarding the backup of the transation logs on a DB in AG in SQL 2016.

I have setup 2 jobs that were create from maintenance tasks on my both Nodes to backup the databse every night  and also Tensation logs every 2 hours

The AG is setup for Prefer secondary.

When run the backup job on secondary node I can see that  Db get backup.

my problem is with backup the logs

It looks like when the logs backup job runs on the Primary Node the job executed but no .trn file is created. when chekc the secondary node the job failed and I think this is expected becuase the logs should get backup only on the Primary node. or am I wrong?

Any idea why no trn file created?

Thanks

Shahin

• Edited by Shahin Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:46 PM update
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Shahin,

>>Any idea why no trn file created?

Could you please try to tick the option like the screenshot below? 

>>I think this is expected because the logs should get backup only on the Primary node. or am I wrong?

BACKUP LOG supports only regular log backups (the COPY_ONLY option is not supported for log backups on secondary replicas). Please refer to Backup Types Supported on Secondary Replicas.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 5:16 AM