none
How to assign resources on a particular time of the day? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Question 1: I would like to know what is the way to add a resource to a task on particular time of a day? For example i want to assign a task to resource "A" on Friday 1-3PM for 3 hours.

Question 2: a. I have a resource group "Programmers" for example; and when assigning task can i choose the whole group from Enterprise resource pool using Project Professional?

b. And then i want to assign task to the people within this group from PP?

I am using Project Server 2013 with Project Professional.

Thanks.

Ashraf
    www.MrOffice365.com

Friday, March 27, 2015 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashraf,

1. Set your time to display in dd/mm/yy hh:mm 

2. Choose the task useage view

3. Change the timescale to hours 

4. Enter the hours in the work cells 

You'll probably need to try this a few times before you get it right.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Hi Ashraf,

In reply to the 2nd part of your question, set up an enterprise custom field called Role or similar, with a lookup table that contains "Programmers".  Associate this field with your resources.  In build team from Enterprise, use a filter to search for the programmers.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Hi Ashraf,

1. I think the easiest way to manage the resource assignments for particular time of the day is to create a calendar with those specifics and use it as a Task Calendar. Or you can display the dates in the day time format. The question is why would you be that specific?

2. a/b - In the Build Team from Enterprise window you can filter the list of resources based on your criteria (e.g. Group if you use the default field) and then add all your Programmers to the Team

Once your team has been successfully built, you can use the Assign Resources option to quickly assign your Programmers to tasks. Here you can also use filters if the project team has a large number of team members

Hope this helps

Paul

Friday, March 27, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Thanks Ben for your help; i think i can make it forward.

Ashraf
    www.MrOffice365.com

Friday, March 27, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi Paul,

1. Its a requirement of the project that needs detail level.

2. b: My point is when i choose a filter like Resource-Cost it will show my "Programmers" group and i will add that group (your image 1). Then in PP (your 2nd image) can i have all the resources on that group of "Programmers"?

Thanks very much.

Ashraf
    www.MrOffice365.com

Friday, March 27, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Hi Ashraf,

Project/Project Server do not have the group resources in that way. The project resources are formed of resources which can be generic (e.g. Programmers) or named (e.g. John Smith) but not groups

You can either:

- have a way of grouping your resources (e.g. Role/Group/etc.) and filter the resources when building the project team and/or assigning them

- use Team resources (e.g. Programmers). In this scenario if only Programmers are part of the team the assignment window will display only Programmers. However, the individuals can assign themselves to the task by using the My Task in PWA

Hope this helps

Paul

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:14 PM