Last update messed up my computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In the morning of Nov. 1, I found my computer after an automatic restart from an automatic update.

It just didn't work. The Toolbar only showed 3 icons and the machine was like freezed.

After a few hours I found out that killing the explorer made it a usable at least from the powershell.

After hours and hours applying previous restores (and discovering how to disable avast to enable system restore to function) I found a restore point that half-worked (from Oct. 11) where the icons from the toolbar came back and the explorer now responds, but the "start" button does not work, and the system app also does not work. There is no previous restore point available in system restore, so I already don't know what to do the get my machine back. By the way, in the morning I found out again that automatic updates reinstalled everything back so we came back to square number one.

I found that I can stop automatic updates through installing PSWindowsUpdate.zip, but my questions are:

1) How can I get back the "start" icon to work

2) Do I have to stop automatic updates forever so I don't get back to where I started? How can I find what is the incompatibility of the update with my hardware or software?

3) Should I go back to Windows 8?

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55t-A5222 with 8GB RAM, 500 GB.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:19 PM

Answers

• What method did you use to get windows 10?

If it's an option, I would get your new license key from the OS and do a clean install. Mine worked so much better than it did when I had an upgraded version from 7.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:45 PM

All replies

• What method did you use to get windows 10?

If it's an option, I would get your new license key from the OS and do a clean install. Mine worked so much better than it did when I had an upgraded version from 7.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Yes, I upgraded... So you suggest to do a clean install... Could be... the problem is that installing everything could take many hours... in the other hand this is taking hours so maybe you are right...

Anyway I would like to fix it.... Or am I being stubborn? I have to think about it... Who says at the end is not going to happen again?

• Edited by HShelanu Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:44 PM
  • I'm new to the corporate computer world ~ 3 years. But I do build images for a company and deal with user support daily.

I would stress the fact that hundreds of thousands of thousands of computers have received this update - and if it was a system crippling plague, we'd probably have heard about it on CNN by now.

It could definitely be one of your applications or files causing this issue - in which case it would happen again. But the OS upgrade process really doesn't offer many guarantees. Your taking a system registry, files, potentially malicious software, configurations, etc. and expecting it to run seamlessly on a different core. Not even popular linux supports it that I'm aware of. Obviously this is just my thoughts on the whole situation.

If you're efficient, you'll take this opportunity to Save all of your install files in a safe place and make notes, so a system change or failure is as simple as running all items in one folder.

Mine also fan faster, on the clean install of w10. I know the feeling of risking wasted work - But I say suck it up and do it. Should you waste hours recovering a dying system, or hours setting up a clean reliable base install? ;)

Cheers,

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Thanks... I think you are right... I'm going to try it. Wish me luck :o)

Best and thanks for the cheering up. 

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

We hope your issue has been resolved, befor you perform a clean installation, give it another try.

Let’s create a new user account and see if start menu comes back, follow the methods as mentioned below as well.

Start Menu & Button not working in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10

Please note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

By default Windows 10 is forced to receive Windows update since it is still a new system which means there are still many things need to be improved at the present stage. But if this new update cause this issue, we can hide them by following the article as mentioned below as a temporary solution. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 9, 2015 2:34 AM