none
Cannot update Default Email Policy after Migrating to Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone - I created a new Email Policy and its not working.  During investigation I found out that I forgot to upgrade the default policy after we upgraded from 2003 to 2007

Just as the title says, I get an error when trying to update default email address policy. 

Here is the error when trying to update

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Set-EmailAddressPolicy -Identity "default policy" -IncludedRecipients Allrecipients
    Set-EmailAddressPolicy : The recipient policy "default policy" with mailbox manager settings cannot be managed by the current ver
    sion of Exchange Management Console. Please use a management console with the same version as the object.
    At line:1 char:23
    + Set-EmailAddressPolicy <<<<  -Identity "default policy" -IncludedRecipients Allrecipients
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Default Policy:ADObjectId) [Set-EmailAddressPolicy], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 6C81D49B,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetEmailAddressPolicy

Before you tell me to go to Exchange 2003 and "uncheck" the mailbox manager setting, let me tell you, Exchange 2003 no longer exist.  We have already decommed and removed it.

So I decided to follow this article which tells me how to address using ADSIEDIT  (option 2)

https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000547

Problem is on step 2 on the msExchPolicyOptionList I do not see "0xec 0x13 0x68 0x3b 0x89 0xce 0xba 0x42 0x94"   I see other values but I'm not sure, when I change those values to Octal, they still don't look like the above.

Also in ADSIEDIT under Recipient Policies I see "Default Policy" and I see "Mailbox Manager" 

HOw do I upgrade this?  Can I just delete these in ADSIEDIT and create new Email Policies???

Thanks

-C-

Friday, June 9, 2017 7:55 AM

Answers

• Oh, I see.  Remove the mailbox manager settings using Exchange 2003 System Manager.  You can install that tool without having to install an Exchange 2003 server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie1313 Friday, June 16, 2017 12:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:48 PM

All replies

• Try adding the -ForceUpgrade parameter.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, June 10, 2017 2:45 AM
  • The recipient policy "default policy" with mailbox manager settings cannot be managed by the current version of Exchange Management console.

spits out this error even with the -ForceUpgrade

What happens if I just delete it from ADSIEdit?  Can I just recreate new policies from scratch?

-C-

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Oh, I see.  Remove the mailbox manager settings using Exchange 2003 System Manager.  You can install that tool without having to install an Exchange 2003 server.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie1313 Friday, June 16, 2017 12:18 AM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Great idea...that worked beautifully!  I was able to upgrade the default email address policy!!

I do see an object for Mailbox Manager in Adsiedit under recipient policies... can I delete that??

-C-

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:42 PM
  • I don't like removing anything with ADSI Edit if there are alternatives.  Do you see it in ESM?

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:37 AM
  • No I don't see it in ESM, only in powershell. But both powershell and ESM has same warning. ESM when you just go to the email recipient policy and powershell when you just get-emailaddresspolicy (without any additional parameters)

"Warning:  There are recipient policy object(s) that do not have email address properties. Those policies are not shown unless you use the parameter 'IncludeMailboxSettingsOnlyPolicy' in the get-emailaddresspolicy command"

So ofcourse I do that  Get-EmailAddressPolicy -IncludeMailboxSettingsOnlyPolicy

Then I see
    Mailbox Manager      1
    Default Policy          Lowest
    NewPolicy                2

I am sure I can remove-emailaddresspolicy "mailbox manager" but just wondering the reprecussions

-C-

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:02 AM
  • I'd remove it.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 1:25 AM
  • Hi, Charlie1313

Any updates? Have you removed "mailbox manager" email address policy?

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:15 AM