User Remote Control during a Task Sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Have just created a boot image that uses Dart 8.1 so i can connect to a computer during a computer installation but this only works when the computer is booted in winpe. Is it possible to use SCCMs Remote Control feature to connect to the computer after winpe? I have tried with no success.

The Agent is running so it should be working right?

Has anyone tried this and got it to work?

Thanks!

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:24 PM

Answers

• Remote control won't work because the SCCM client is in a "provisioning" state during an OSD Task Sequence. Therefore it is on but not at full functionality. I believe it does this by design. It is what helps the client not step on it's own toes during an OSD task sequence when something like a query membership becomes true and it all of a sudden wants to run like a required install or something that requires a reboot, the TS isn't expecting any of that. Therefore the TS has to finish all tasks before it will remove the client from "provisioning" mode

Dustin Estes - MCP | www.dustinestes.com

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Samus-Aran Friday, January 3, 2014 12:24 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 4:12 PM

All replies

• With DaRT no, but RDP works just fine. Keep in mind the OS is just the OS, you just have to be careful not to interrupt anything the task sequence is doing.
    Monday, December 30, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Hi!

I am not talking about RDP but "Remote Control". With RDP I have to log in with a user account but with Remote Control i can just take over the screen and see whats happening.

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:43 PM
  • This cannot be done. DaRT would be the way to go.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Remote control won't work because the SCCM client is in a "provisioning" state during an OSD Task Sequence. Therefore it is on but not at full functionality. I believe it does this by design. It is what helps the client not step on it's own toes during an OSD task sequence when something like a query membership becomes true and it all of a sudden wants to run like a required install or something that requires a reboot, the TS isn't expecting any of that. Therefore the TS has to finish all tasks before it will remove the client from "provisioning" mode

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Samus-Aran Friday, January 3, 2014 12:24 PM
    Monday, December 30, 2013 4:12 PM
  • You will only be able to use the DaRT remote monitoring feature while the device is in WinPE which should be for troubleshooting purposes. As it's deploying in windows you just have the option of watching the reporting/logging status until as Dustin mentioned the TS is done with all tasks and the client is initialized.

When I'm testing I regularly deploy to hyper-v machines which I can watch through the whole process through hyper-v manager. I haven't heard of any other way to see the screen all the way during the imaging process of a remote device.

Monday, December 30, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Yeah, it would be nice if there was a way. I've managed to get by without it for the time being through some creative training and remote onsite techs. I have the desktop techs here pretty well versed in parsing the logs. I also created a custom HTA for failures and successes that allow the guys to launch the cmtrace tool and look through the logs without having to know how to hit F8 and then type in cmtrace. So, fortunately, with that much at their fingertips I only have to get involved when there is really something wrong on the server side. Also, having a window that states failure or success and telling them that they should only consider the image a success if they see the green window takes some of the "Watch it constantly so you can catch the error message before it times out and goes to the logon screen" issue.

Monday, December 30, 2013 7:59 PM