Windows 7 Search in Start Menu - Shows No/Ghost Results RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop. Since few days, if i search using start menu, no result show up. Instead some ghost link show up which have nothing if i open their properties. If i right click on these items and choose Open location, it opens the Desktop folder. Everywhere else search is running fine and i have even rebuilded the index.

The only thing i did a few days back was rearranging the start menu. I moved a few software created folders (not startup, administrative tools or accessories)  into subfolders, thats it. I moved a few items between All Users Start menu and User Specific start menu as i have done for past 9 years with Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista. I know this stuff and i am sure i haven't done anything wrong.

Here is a screenshot of this problem :

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9804/startmenuproblem.jpg

Can anybody please help!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:34 PM

All replies

• Which specific reg value are you talking about? I cant find any relevant one there.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Hi  Sumit Bharadwaj

right click on empty space upon task bar click on properties,
    Start Menu tab.. Options.. Customize.. SEARCH PROGRAMS AND CONTROL PANEL
    CHECKMARK BOX should be ticked.

if issue persists
    trouble shoot the windows search 

Go to control panel<system and security< in search pane type search< you will get Troubleshooting with windows search,
    follow the remaining instructions.

and try it create a new user account and switch to that.

hope it helps

NIKHIL
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:24 AM
  • hi sumit !

Thank you for posting with Microsoft forums !

Try this : Right click on startmenu -> properties -> again start menu tab on top -> customize -> press use defaults -> again check some options under search libraries there.

Press Apply- OK

IF this does not solve your problem do let us know.

Regards
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, blog at : http://www.thecomputernext.com
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Shantanu,

Even after following your steps, the problem remains. If i am creating a new account, its working fine. The thing is i want to know if there is any possibility to rectify this problem without shifting to a new account. Changing account after so much customization and all is a pain for me. :|
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Thanks Shantanu,

Worked fine for me. 
    All search functions from the start button now work as expected.

Good work!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:44 PM
  • I share this problem.

The symptom is exactly as per the screenshot in the first post including the "ghost" entries.

I have folowed all trouble shooting for windows search including rebuilding, deleting and rebuilding and even inistalling deleting re-installing and rebuilding.  None have worked and I still have the symptom.

This is a major degredation of Win7 UI and important that we can find and document a fix.  Any further assistance would be appreciated as I am at a total loss

Thanks

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:59 AM
  • I share this problem.

The symptom is exactly as per the screenshot in the first post including the "ghost" entries.

I have folowed all trouble shooting for windows search including rebuilding, deleting and rebuilding and even inistalling deleting re-installing and rebuilding.  None have worked and I still have the symptom.

This is a major degredation of Win7 UI and important that we can find and document a fix.  Any further assistance would be appreciated as I am at a total loss

Thanks

Hi:

This KB article should fix your problem:

The "Search programs and files" box does not display search results correctly in Windows 7 and in Windows 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977380/en-us

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:03 PM
    Answerer
  • This did not work for me plus it's a hassle if your own account has a lot of stuff on the desktop. deleting the registry did work. See Hellboy1979 above.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:09 AM