none
New to Microsoft Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to learn Microsoft Project 2010 on my own while pursuing project concepts to write PMP in six months. I have these questions where I am looking for answers:

1. What version of Microsoft Project 2010 should I buy if I plan to use it for long term in professional work?

2. I have no idea of Microsoft Project 2010 Server is. How do I learn Microsoft Project Server 2010? Do I need a separate software for that?

3. Finally what book is best in the market for learning these two tools to have the basics covered?

I appreciate any help on these questions. Thanks

Monday, January 2, 2012 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hello gamaz,

1. What version of Microsoft Project 2010 should I buy if I plan to use it for long term in professional work?

Project Professional is most useful when connecting to a Project Server.  However, even without Project Server it does offer a couple of nice features such as publishing to a SharePoint site and the Team Planner view.  It is more expensive than Project Standard and you will not be able to work with the full power of the professional version unless you are connected to a Project Server.

2. I have no idea of Microsoft Project 2010 Server is. How do I learn Microsoft Project Server 2010? Do I need a separate software for that?

Yes, Project Server is separate software.  To learn more about both Project client and Project Server, at the top of the list of forum topics on this page, click the heading Additional Microsoft Project Resources to see links for video training sessions, demonstration images for Project Server, plus links to the Project team blog.  There is a wealth of information available at your finger tips.

3. Finally what book is best in the market for learning these two tools to have the basics covered?

"Best in market" is sort of tough to quantify.  I suggest visiting a nearby book store and browsing through the materials available.  I personally highly recommend the materials written by MS Project Experts (http://www.msprojectexperts.com/).  Both Dale Howard and Gary Chefetz are long standing Microsoft MVPs and their books are excellent.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, January 2, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Hi gamaz,

Next to the excellent answers of Koen and Julie, I would like to add some more information.

2. If you want to be able to see Project Server in action without having to instal and configure it, you can use the Microsoft Virtual Lab: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9713654 This will give you a 2-hour timeslot to run through a demo scenario of Microsoft Project Server. I recommended to read some of the resources Julie mentions though before opening the lab, to make sure you don't get lost.

3. If you are looking for an easy to read book on Microsoft Project client (not project server) with lot's of excercises, I an recommend the Microsoft Project 2010 Step-By-Step book. The books by MS Project Experts are also excellent.

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, January 2, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Gamaz,

1. For proffesional use, I'd recommend the professional edition, then again, it all depends on what you are doing with it. Check out the version comparison here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/2/2/B22500C0-D2E1-428A-B1B2-813CFC0589A8/version_comparison_desktop.pdf

2. Microsoft Project Server and Microsoft Project 2010 are different things. Project server gives you acces to collaborate more easy online. If i'm not mistaken you also need Sharepoint Server 2010 in order for this to work at it's best. Someone else can probabbly give you a better awnser on this question.

3. The two books I used to get a good understanding about Project 2010 are: Microsoft Office Project 2010 Bible by Elaine Marmel and Project 2010 For Dummies by Nancy C. Muir. These books cover all the basic information, I advise you to just use the software to do random tests or practice what you want to do with it. I myself have learned alot from this forum (just browse through the posts, there are some real experts here), in combination with just trying things in test-projects.

Hope this helps a bit,

-- Koen

Monday, January 2, 2012 4:30 PM

All replies

• Gamaz,

1. For proffesional use, I'd recommend the professional edition, then again, it all depends on what you are doing with it. Check out the version comparison here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/2/2/B22500C0-D2E1-428A-B1B2-813CFC0589A8/version_comparison_desktop.pdf

2. Microsoft Project Server and Microsoft Project 2010 are different things. Project server gives you acces to collaborate more easy online. If i'm not mistaken you also need Sharepoint Server 2010 in order for this to work at it's best. Someone else can probabbly give you a better awnser on this question.

3. The two books I used to get a good understanding about Project 2010 are: Microsoft Office Project 2010 Bible by Elaine Marmel and Project 2010 For Dummies by Nancy C. Muir. These books cover all the basic information, I advise you to just use the software to do random tests or practice what you want to do with it. I myself have learned alot from this forum (just browse through the posts, there are some real experts here), in combination with just trying things in test-projects.

Hope this helps a bit,

-- Koen

Monday, January 2, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Hello gamaz,

Project Professional is most useful when connecting to a Project Server.  However, even without Project Server it does offer a couple of nice features such as publishing to a SharePoint site and the Team Planner view.  It is more expensive than Project Standard and you will not be able to work with the full power of the professional version unless you are connected to a Project Server.

Yes, Project Server is separate software.  To learn more about both Project client and Project Server, at the top of the list of forum topics on this page, click the heading Additional Microsoft Project Resources to see links for video training sessions, demonstration images for Project Server, plus links to the Project team blog.  There is a wealth of information available at your finger tips.

"Best in market" is sort of tough to quantify.  I suggest visiting a nearby book store and browsing through the materials available.  I personally highly recommend the materials written by MS Project Experts (http://www.msprojectexperts.com/).  Both Dale Howard and Gary Chefetz are long standing Microsoft MVPs and their books are excellent.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, January 2, 2012 4:47 PM
  • Hi gamaz,

Next to the excellent answers of Koen and Julie, I would like to add some more information.

2. If you want to be able to see Project Server in action without having to instal and configure it, you can use the Microsoft Virtual Lab: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9713654 This will give you a 2-hour timeslot to run through a demo scenario of Microsoft Project Server. I recommended to read some of the resources Julie mentions though before opening the lab, to make sure you don't get lost.

3. If you are looking for an easy to read book on Microsoft Project client (not project server) with lot's of excercises, I an recommend the Microsoft Project 2010 Step-By-Step book. The books by MS Project Experts are also excellent.

Regards,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, January 2, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Thanks Koen, Julie and Hans for the generous answers that have provided me with guidance to get started with the learning process. I need to figure out the prices of different software to see what would work for me. I am going to get some of the books that have been suggested here for initial learning.

Regards

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:26 AM
  • You're most welcome gamaz.  As you continue your exploration and learning, feel free to post questions again to this forum or to the Project Server forum.  We'll do our best to help out.

Julie

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:14 PM