none
Need help removing MSE from Server 2012 Essentials

Question

• Hey guys and gals,

I am trying to remove this software because of the last update.  I have seen all the posts on how to change the setup.exe to win7 compatible and run /disableoslimit /u etc.  I am stuck because every time I try to use this method or do anything I get "you must restart your computer before running this setup wizard". 

I do the restart and it says the same thing every time in an endless loop.   Any ideas.  I can use a program like Revo Uninstaller but I read somewhere the folders are protected and un-deleteable etc.  If there is a way to release system control of the folders etc and make them removable that would be great.   I would rather use the uninstaller. 

I need some ideas,  Any thoughts?

• Edited by Mike Luer Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:07 PM
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Microsoft Security Essentials is not supported on Windows Server 2012. 

If you had manually install it and want to un-install it, article “How to manually uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1963 if you cannot uninstall it by using the Add or Remove Programs item” can be considered as reference:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2435760/how-to-manually-uninstall-microsoft-security-essentials-1-0-1963-if-yo

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 5:40 AM
  • thanks I will try it one more time :)  anytime I run the setup.exe it always says I have to restart the server to use this wizard even after I just restarted it.  

Thanks for the help. 

Mike

Monday, May 28, 2018 8:56 PM
  • The microsoft easy fix solution is not available any longer.  Does anyone have a copy of it ?  Microsoft pulled the download link. 
    Monday, May 28, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

You can reference section “Let me fix it myself” for step-by-step to manually remove the installation.

Please back up registry/important data/system before any change, it would be helpful for undo the change by restoration.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:46 AM
  • still running into the same issue trying to use setup.exe to access the installer.  It is caught in a loop saying I have to reboot before I can use this setup wizard.  it's got me perplexed a bit.  I have all the references and registry items removed like it says in the let me fix it section.  All of the services are not running and it acts like it is removed but the complete installation is still there in program files directory.  I also ran into an issue removing the malware section because it generates an error when you try to remove it from the registry. It says my elevated administrator user privileges aren't high and enough and it is protected/errors out when I try to remove that registry entry.  That is the only areas that didn't work in the let me fix it area of the references above.  
    Sunday, June 03, 2018 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

As mentioned above, MSE is not official supported on Windows Server 2012, and manually installation may causing working problem, including removing/uninstalling problem.

Please check method mentioned in “How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List”:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/247501/how-to-manually-remove-programs-from-the-add-remove-programs-list

If manually clear it still prompts error, if necessary, 3rd party program management/movement tool might be necessary for clearly un-install the program and clear stable files. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 04, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 2:16 AM
  • It's off the list.  only the locked file system for C:\Program Files\Microsoft security Client and all of it's files are still there.  I am trying to figure out a way to remove this including shutting down malware preloader..
    Wednesday, June 06, 2018 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

3rd party application management tool can be considered to clear the stable files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, June 07, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Problem is every time  I do get the folders and files removed via 3rd party too they come right back as if there is a program rebuilding the system.   Any thoughts.  
    Saturday, June 09, 2018 10:36 PM