none
Windows 10 Enterprise without serial number

Question

• Hi. I bough a thinkpad with preinstalled Windows 10 Enterprise. In fact my local language isn't the same as my Windows copy (I speak swedish and polish, and my copy of windows is dutch, polonised with language pack).

Fortunately I found RTM iso of 15063 (Windows 10 Enterprise Dutch b15063 to be specific).

I have my licence in my account, but setup want a serial key. What should I do?
    Monday, April 17, 2017 11:19 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by 'I have my licence in my account'?

If you mean it has a digital entitlement (as Windows 10 uses) then you can click at the bottom 'I do not have a product key' and it will activate when it gets online.

Monday, April 17, 2017 3:54 PM
  • it's not there. 
    http://i.imgur.com/jjBQHDM.png
    Monday, April 17, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Ok so it looks like you are running the setup from within Windows. If it is prompting for a key I suspect it is a different version of Windows 10 Enterprise (perhaps single licence) so you key is not valid.

Make sure it is the exact same version as you have installed. If not contact the supplier of the ThinkPad explain the issue to them see if they can help.

Monday, April 17, 2017 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Mr Happy.

First, let's make sure to choose Upgrade option during setup, but not Customize install.

Would you please let us know where you get the ISO file? If you download it from Windows Media creation tool, you really need the product key, since the MCT only provide Pro, Home edition of Windows 10 15063.

Also, I would like to you to confirm your current Windows version by right-clicking Start icon, and then clicking System. Please let us know more detailed information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:03 AM
  • Mine is Enterprise in OEM/Retail channel - strange.

as shown here:
    http://i.imgur.com/zpHK1sN.png
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:23 AM
  • I can't upgrade windows even from BIOS startup. I can choose fresh install. This is Windows Enterprise ISO dutch version downloaded from MS website (but other website provided links)

I do not have subscription in MSDN channel, so I had to look for them elsewere.

The system what I've got (Enterprise OEM) comed bundled with my laptop, thus I have licence sticked with my account.

Again, have a picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/zpHK1sN.png
    You can pretty guess what's there - OS is Enterprise, indeed, in OEM/Retail channel (?), and last line says - licensed.

But, I do not know how the new licensing works. When I have enterprise binded to my account, and when I reinstall to Pro, do I have the enterprise licence valid? Maybe my solution will be reinstall.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi, 

That is the issue, you use an OEM key to activate maybe retailed system. 

Please know that OEM activation is valid as long as the customer uses the OEM-provided image on a system. 

See details: 

Original Equipment Manufacturer

Most OEMs sell systems that include a standard build of the Windows operating system. Hardware vendors perform OEM activation by associating the operating system to the firmware (basic input/output system, or BIOS) of the computer. This process occurs before the computer is sent to the customer so that no additional actions are required by the user. This method of activation is known as OEM activation.

OEM activation is valid as long as the customer uses the OEM-provided image on a system. To create a customized image, customers can use the image provided by the OEM as the basis for creating the custom image. Otherwise, a different activation method must be used.  For further details on customizing Windows and activation impacts refer to the following whitepaper.

Note   OEM activation is applicable to computers with Windows installed that are purchased through OEM channels.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:14 AM