Linux Integration Components v3 - how to compile? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Openfiler as a Hyper-V guest (on 2008 R2), and it has serious problems with the IDE controller: it only sees 127 GB of block devices, also disk and network performance is suboptimal.

Openfiler is built on top of rPath Linux, with a 2.6.32 kernel.

I have tried to download and install the Linux Integration Components, but the old versions (v2 and v2.1) give a compile error as described here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/5e9d6969-9bf0-4fae-a932-c5e8842ffbcb

I gave a shot to the recently released v3.2 and v3.3 components, but they only include rpm's and no source format.

Has Microsoft abandoned the entire Linux ecosystem apart from RHEL by not releasing the compilable sources of the Linux IC anymore?

• Moved by Vincent Hu Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:06 AM (From:Hyper-V)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:10 AM

All replies

• It's a known issue with IDE disks in Linux under Hyper-V. Your favourite internet search machine can find a lot of results, if you'd search for "hyper-V size ide disk". Or you can look into this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/linuxintegrationservices/thread/b37cc2ac-415b-4b1b-9dc7-2025fd9e7e18

I think Microsoft stoped to deliver source code, because the last kernel versions contain Hyper-V driver. May be you can find the divers in the stage part of the kernel provided by your Linux? Or you might want to update the kernel to a newer version.

Regard,

Hermann Maurer

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:57 PM

• 1. Open Hyper-V Manager: Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Hyper-V Manager

2. Create a new virtual machine where you will install Linux: In the Actions menu, click New , and then click Virtual Machine.

3. Specify the Linux installation media: Right-click the virtual machine that you created, and then click Settings. In IDE Controller, specify one of the following:

An image file in ISO format that contains the files required for installation

A physical CD/DVD drive that contains the installation media

4. Turn on the virtual machine: Right-click the virtual machine that you created, and then click Connect.

5. Begin installing Linux.

6. When prompted, restart the virtual machine and complete any first-boot configuration

To install Linux Integration Services Version 3.1:

Note :Unless a legacy network adapter was added during the virtual machine’s initial configuration, the virtual machine will not have any network support.

7. Log on to the virtual machine.

8. In Hyper-V Manager, configure LinuxIC v30.ISO (located in the directory where you extracted the downloaded files) as a physical CD/DVD drive on the virtual machine.

9. As the root user, mount the CD in the virtual machine by issuing the following command at a shell prompt:

# mount /dev/cdrom /media

10. As the root user, run the following command to install the synthetic drivers. A reboot is required after installation.

32-bit versions:

# rpm –ivh /media/x86/kmod-microsoft-hyper-v-rhel6-60.1.i686.rpm

# rpm –ivh /media/x86/microsoft-hyper-v-rhel6-60.1.i686.rpm

# reboot

64-bit versions:

# rpm –ivh /media/x86_64/kmod-microsoft-hyper-v-rhel6-60.1.x86_64.rpm

# rpm –ivh /media/x86_64/microsoft-hyper-v-rhel6-60.1.x86_64.rpm

# reboot

Kalpesh Patel If you find these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be click on the "Vote as helpful" button

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:15 AM