locked
Failed to get value of the "Target Audiences" column while editing items RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have created Audience and added user to it, I enabled Audience in list. I created item with Target Audiences. Now I can't edit the item again. I receive the following error:

    Failed to get value of the "Target Audiences" column from the "Audience Targeting" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Value cannot be null. 
    Parameter name: String.

    I have this note: when I edit the item, I found that the Target Audiences converted to GUID of the Audience... that's why it show the error. I can edit the item if I re wrote the Audience Name. It doesn't accept the GUID.

    How to solve this issue without re-writing the Audience name again?

    Thanks in Advance,

    Monday, February 21, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

  • I found that it's a Firefox problem! This proplem doesn't show in IE.
    Amira
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:14 PM

All replies

  • Try to reproduce the issue after turning on verbose mode for diagnostics logging. Share the logs related to this list and audiences.

    Thanks,
    Dip


    Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    • Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:06 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Amira Aboulrous Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:29 AM
  • The error in log is:

    BaseFieldControl: Exception thrown while rendering field for field 'Target Audiences': of field type Audience Targeting.  Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: String System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: String     at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)     at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)     at System.Int32.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.AudienceEditor.GetSelectedAudienceIDsStringArray(AudienceType targetTypes)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.AudienceEditor.get_Text()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.WebControls.FieldTypes.SPFieldTargetToControl.get_Valu...    
    03/13/2011 10:40:14.00*    w3wp.exe (0x2134)                           0x27E4    Windows SharePoint Services       Web Controls                      90hw    Verbose     ...e()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseFieldControl.UpdateFieldValueInItem()    

    Problem: Audience name is converted to its GUID while I'm accessing the site remotely or from outside the server.
    Note: while i'm working on the server itself, it works well.


    Amira
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:07 PM
  • I found that it's a Firefox problem! This proplem doesn't show in IE.
    Amira
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:14 PM