none
Linked Projects RRS feed

• Question

• hi

i want to manage 3 separate project plans by linking them to one master project plan.

i can see how to link/cross dependency tasks across multiple projects, but what i want in my master is basically a summary % complete of relevant areas in the subs that is auto updated

eg

Master Project

Analysis Phase     70%

Finance            80%            - updated by below summary of sub 1

Production               65%                   - updated by below summary of Sub 2

Sub Project 1

Analysis Phase

Finance                        80%

GL setup                 100%

Stock code setup      60%

Sub Project 2        

Analysis Phase

Production                 65%

BOMS                     70%

Operations                60%

any one any ideas or have a link to a tutorial as i knoow what i want but just not sure what to search :)

thanks

mal

Friday, August 11, 2017 11:55 AM

Answers

• MalRaff80,

If you're looking for an automated way to update the Percent Complete field in one part of a plan based on the Percent Complete value in another part of the same plan or in a linked structure, sorry Project isn't set up to do that, at least not in a reliable way. However, it could be done with some VBA.

Whenever I see a user post wherein they are talking about using a linked structure (e.g. master/subprojects or resource pool/sharer) I feel obligated to clarify the nature of linked structures in Project. None of the files in the structure should ever be renamed, moved, overwritten or saved off ot another location. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. Why? Because linked structures in Project are prone to corruption.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, August 11, 2017 1:03 PM

All replies

• MalRaff80,

If you're looking for an automated way to update the Percent Complete field in one part of a plan based on the Percent Complete value in another part of the same plan or in a linked structure, sorry Project isn't set up to do that, at least not in a reliable way. However, it could be done with some VBA.

Whenever I see a user post wherein they are talking about using a linked structure (e.g. master/subprojects or resource pool/sharer) I feel obligated to clarify the nature of linked structures in Project. None of the files in the structure should ever be renamed, moved, overwritten or saved off ot another location. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network. Why? Because linked structures in Project are prone to corruption.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, August 11, 2017 1:03 PM
  • HI jOHN

thanks for the reply, yes that is what i am after!

ok, ill chat to someone who knows some vba to see if they can assist me ! otherwise i guess i just stop being lazy and manage them manually! :)

thanks

mal

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:15 PM
  • mal,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:16 PM