Vista FREEZES! :@ RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I hope someone might be able to help me, as this seems to be a common problem to many users.  I have read a fair amount, lots relating to Dell machines.  However, this isn't a Dell.  The OS is Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

I have recently built a new system for work which is supposed to be a fairly powerful machine for analysis etc.  The spec is below.  The problem is that the machine locks up regularly and seemingly entirely randomly, under some or no load.  I getno warning or no errors.  It was fine during the first and only Vista installation on a brand new hd and system, and fine for the first day or two while installing system drivers and updates from the web.  I used the 32-bit version to avoid compatibility issues with the programs we want to use on it. 

Spec:

MSI X38 Diamond X-Fi mobo - Intel chipset drivers installed

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 1066FSB 95W SLACR w/ Akaska Revo cooler

4GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC3-10666C7 133MHz

ATI FireGL V5200 256MB - with latest Catalyst drivers

750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA-II 32MB cache

Samsung SH-S203NBEBN 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe

Antec P182 case with Antec Quattro 850W PSU

Windows Vista Ultimate (build unknown atm), updated via web up to date

.NET Framework 3.5

ATI Catalyst drivers

Intel gigabit ethernet drivers

Realtek gigabit ethernet drivers

Realtek HD audio drivers

Nero 7 OEM software

Adobe Reader 8

Autodesk Inventor 1008 series

Jasc Paint Shope Pro 7

MGI Videowave 5

Xerox Workcentre 7220 PS C driver

Canon EOS20D WIA USB driver - now uninstalled

Can't think of anything else atm.  The system is not overclocked and is running at ~42degC and ~37degC CPU temp.

Can anyone suggest any solutions, or any way to identify where the problem lies?  ANYTHING?!  I don't believe it is a hardware fault with brand new kit, but I shall contact the supplier anyway for any tech support I can get.

Cheers for any help, James

(Should've stuck with XP...)

Saturday, February 9, 2008 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hello James,

Thank you for your posting.

As for this system freezing issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

1.    Please update all the drivers for your computer via the manufacturers’ websites.

2.    If possible, temporarily remove some USB devices and check the issue again.

3.    Please temporarily disable all firewalls and uninstall anti-virus applications; Or, perform a clean boot to see if the problem persists:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Your understanding is greatly appreciated and I hope the issue can be fixed soon!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:26 AM