none
FIM 2010 R2 Upgrade - media question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am looking to upgrade our FIM 2010 server to FIM 2010 R2 SP1. I was able to acquire an MSDN copy of FIM 2010 R2 SP1, that was super easy. I upgraded my test/lab, and although it required the complete de-installation of FIM on the lab, after the upgrade the lab server makes no indications that it's an MSDN copy. I'm also aware that on a non-MSDN copy of FIM 2010, the upgrade should work without a de-installation of FIM (is that true??).

In the past, there was a clear delination between the MSDN and non-MSDN versions of FIM. But this has me confused. Can I apply that MSDN-acquired media on my production server? For 2 months I've been trying to get my corporate licensing office to deliver "official" FIM 2010 R2 SP1 media and it has been a nightmare, possibly incompetence on the part of the licensing office, but I'm wondering if their difficulty is maybe because Microsoft no longer distinguishes this FIM 2010 R2 SP1 "official" license-copy for this upgrade (similar to other update rollups).

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:50 PM

Answers

• Found the answer. It may be very specific to our customer agreement. Since we don't get Microsoft licensed media directly from Microsoft (we get it via shi.com) they had to enable us to "see" the FIM 2010 R2 w/SP1 offering.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Mulvey Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:55 PM

All replies