none
IDT High Definition Audio Codec Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I just had my laptop rebooted since I had a virus in the system that I could not get rid of. I was on youtube.com and when I tried to listen or even turn up the volume, no sound would come out. I tried everything. So far, I have uninstalled the IDT High Definition Audio Codec. Though, I don't know who the manufacterer of this codec is. What should I do?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:25 PM

Answers

• Hi StephsATechieGirl,

Could you please let us know the operating system you are using? If it is Windows XP, please understand that this is a Windows 7 forum which mainly focus on Windows 7 issues.

However, if the issue occurs in Windows 7, please refer to the following suggestions to check this issue.

Please first go to Dell's website and found the latest driver update for Windows 7. You can contact Dell directly for assistance.

If the issue persists after installing the driver which is compatible with Windows 7, please restart Windows Audio service by the steps below:

1.     Go to Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2.     Right click on the Windows Audio service and then click Restart.

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 1, 2010 2:58 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• I had updates added, and my computer reinstalled the codec. But, it says that it might NOT work properly. I just clicked the volume control button, and an error message showed up saying, 'There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.' Do I have to install a mixer device?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:16 PM
  • What is your laptop, be specific as to make, model and model #. Was the laptop preinstalled with Windows 7 or did you do an upgrade from XP or Vista and if so from what version (specific) to what version of Windows 7?  What antivirus are you currently running and did you completely remove the virus yet? To make sure, go to Microsoft's Online Safety Scanner http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ie/default.htm and let it do a through scan of your system. The virus may have damaged your system files. Once the safety scanner is done, run the system file checker from the command line with the command sfc /scannow and see if it finds any problems and fixes it (or not). Let us know and we can work from there.

Added note: Be sure your bios is up to date another with any drivers from the OEM.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:46 PM
  • My laptop is a Dell Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 laptop. I don't know the model number or where to look it up. My laptop was not reinstalled with Windows 7. I did not have it upgraded. I was running AVG Free as my antivirus. I did completely remove the virus. I also tried to do the onecare scan, but I could not because my computer is not compatible with it.

Added note: Be sure your bios is up to date another with any drivers from the OEM. ?? I don't understand.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Look on the bottom of your laptop. Now we now its a Dell laptop, so is it an Inspirion, XPS, Latitude etc that info is on a tag on the bottom of your laptop with the Express code and Serial number. Ok, I see you have XP installed, you are in the wrong forums, this is for problems related to Windows 7. You want the XP forums to ask your question here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/threads/
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Thanks for telling me.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Hi StephsATechieGirl,

Could you please let us know the operating system you are using? If it is Windows XP, please understand that this is a Windows 7 forum which mainly focus on Windows 7 issues.

However, if the issue occurs in Windows 7, please refer to the following suggestions to check this issue.

Please first go to Dell's website and found the latest driver update for Windows 7. You can contact Dell directly for assistance.

If the issue persists after installing the driver which is compatible with Windows 7, please restart Windows Audio service by the steps below:

1.     Go to Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.

2.     Right click on the Windows Audio service and then click Restart.

Please check if the issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 1, 2010 2:58 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 8:39 AM