Where's my HDD space going? RRS feed

• Question

• Common problem among windows users, 
    Where's all my disk space going?  

So basically everyday or so, i lose a couple GB. 
    I assume its Win7 making tons of system restores and updates to my system and steam updating games. 

But isn't there a cap on that? 
    For example 20 points, making 1 every day. 
    When all 20 points are full the oldest one will be deleted making space for a new one. 

Is there a way for me to set that?

Also why doesn't my HDD actively scan how much space i have?
    I copied over some Team fortress 2 files to my desktop from my external hard drive averaging about 12GB  
    I soon decided i didn't want to play Team fortress or download all those updates so i deleted it. 

But the 12GB those files took up never really returned? The space may be there but it doesn't appear to be there   

Maybe the files are lingering in the temp recycle bin, but i don't think that effect my normal hard drive space.

• Edited by Austin S Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since Windows backs up your system data before updating and so on, and these backups take large space.

You could turn off or modify the maximum disk space used for system protect.
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure allows you to delete restore points, change the settings and change the disk space allocation.

Another method is to change it with command line, please run the below command as administrator:
    vssadmin risize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=2GB  

For your frequently updating or installing new programs, please delete all the system restore points but the recent one.

Here is an artile can be referred to.

Strategies for freeing disk space
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/strategies-for-freeing-disk-space

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, March 5, 2012 6:54 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:13 AM

All replies

• Austin

1. You can change the space allocated to System Restore by going to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure allows you to delete restore points, change the settings and change the disk space allocation.

2. Download WinDirStat, which shows where disk space is being used, including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types and large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here http://windirstat.info/ Remove the program after you’ve finished with it.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Since Windows backs up your system data before updating and so on, and these backups take large space.

You could turn off or modify the maximum disk space used for system protect.
    Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure allows you to delete restore points, change the settings and change the disk space allocation.

Another method is to change it with command line, please run the below command as administrator:
    vssadmin risize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=2GB  

For your frequently updating or installing new programs, please delete all the system restore points but the recent one.

Here is an artile can be referred to.

Strategies for freeing disk space
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/strategies-for-freeing-disk-space

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, March 5, 2012 6:54 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:13 AM