none
'Sync User Permissions' turn off in EPT should the PM still be able to see the Project Site if they have permission... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

The 'Sync User Permissions' is turned off in the EPT (as we hit over 2,000 projects).  But now the PM cannot see the Project Site after they created a project (it says Access Denied) even though they have they have 'View Project Site' ticked in the PM POL permissions.  And so the Administrator has to manually add the PM to the site.   

I can't believe the Administrator has to do this each time and feel sure I've missed something.  Any help or guidance gratefully received

Many thanks

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:16 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

if he is doing so and EPT setting is "Automatically create a site on next publish", site will be created and he will be in the Owner group of this site.

Do you see a differnt behaviour?

Barbara

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JamesP435 Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

you have to take a decision: either don't need to manipulate permissions with "Sync User Permissions" enabled or have some administrative work with this setting disabled.

However, not only a Site Collection Admin can provide this permission. The person who craeted the site by publishing the project is the owner of the site and can also add the current project owner to the site.

If your projects are created by a few single people, who are changing the Project Owner field afterwards, I suggest to set site creation to "Allow users to choose" and let real Project Owner create the site. So the Project Owner will also be the Site Owner.

Not sure if this helps?
    Barbara

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi Barbara

However, not only a Site Collection Admin can provide this permission. The person who craeted the site by publishing the project is the owner of the site and can also add the current project owner to the site.

I agree with everything you say.  One point though re the italics above in your 2nd paragraph.  Can you confirm that if the person who created the project, and is the owner/project manager, and published the project and has the the correct permissions.  That person should then be able to see the project site and add other people.  Is that correct?

Many thanks 

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:43 PM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

being the owner of a site does not depend on the current project owner or creating the project initially. Site Owner will be the person, who created the site by publishing.

For your old site, I am not able to say a lot. But for future sites, it will make things easier, if site creation is only started by project owner (with setting  "Allow users to choose")

For existing sites, I think it will be either manual work for a Site Collection Administrator or you write a script (Powershell/CSOM), to add necessary permissions - but I don't know how to do that.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:07 PM
  • Hi Barbara 

Sorry to ask for further clarification on this.  If the owner/ pm creates a new project and then goes to the Tasks tabs (in Schedule) and clicks on the Publish button:  Won't this make them the project site owner?

Many thanks 

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

if he is doing so and EPT setting is "Automatically create a site on next publish", site will be created and he will be in the Owner group of this site.

Do you see a differnt behaviour?

Barbara

• Unmarked as answer by JamesP435 Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Thanks for confirming Barbara.  And Yes.  Had to turn off the Sync after 2,000 users.  PM/Owner meets all the criteria above but they are denied access to the site.

Problem is the O365 support say that only Admin are allowed to add users to the site.  And someone else said it's fine to turn the Sync back on.... Argh :-)

• Edited by JamesP435 Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:10 AM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:02 AM