none
[SOLVED] P2V Windows 2003 SP2 VM loses control after boot

Question

• Hi everyone,

I did a P2V conversion in a Windows 2003 SP2 using Disk2vhd, the conversion concluded without any problem...
    The Vm start normally on Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V host. But at Windows login screen the mouse, keyboard and ctrl+alt+del doesn't respond.
    I tried connect direct on the host console, the RDP session doesn't work either.

I tried everything, but the VM doesn't respond.

Has anyone an idea on what to do in this case?

Regards,

Everton

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:19 PM

Answers

• Dave,

The question is solved. I've tested the VM on another hyper-v host and it worked well. So the problem was in my current hyper-v host, than I reinstalled it and now the VM is working well.

Thanks for the attention again.

Regards,
    Everton Weschenfelder
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• You will have to recall your keyboard skills (via console session) until you can get integration service installed on the guest.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:41 PM
  • But you still might end up with problems.  Remember that 2003 was written before virtualization became popular on the x86 platform.  That means that it has no idea about running in a virtual environment.  2008 and later actually have changes made to them to recognize a virtual environment.  As a result, 2003 has multiple things against when running in a virtual environment.  One is what I just said.  The other comes from trying to P2V it.  If you spend some time searching through this forum, you will find lots of people who have had issues trying to get a P2V 2003 instance to run properly, particularly when using any of the free tools.  Some of the tools that you pay for did a better job, but you still have the normal 2003 in a virtual environment issue.

If you really need to have 2003 in a virtual environment, you are better off to build the VM from scratch and re-install the applications.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Generally, Windows can figure things out.  Let it sit for a while and it should be able to at least reinstall the keyboard drivers.  You'll need to do a reset to reboot the VM and when it comes up the keyboard should work. 
    Friday, February 10, 2017 10:21 PM
  • You will have to recall your keyboard skills (via console session) until you can get integration service installed on the guest.

Thanks for the reply, I did it but nothing happens.
    As Smjain said, I'll wait if the keyboard works after some time.

Thank you.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:16 PM
  • But you still might end up with problems.  Remember that 2003 was written before virtualization became popular on the x86 platform.  That means that it has no idea about running in a virtual environment.  2008 and later actually have changes made to them to recognize a virtual environment.  As a result, 2003 has multiple things against when running in a virtual environment.  One is what I just said.  The other comes from trying to P2V it.  If you spend some time searching through this forum, you will find lots of people who have had issues trying to get a P2V 2003 instance to run properly, particularly when using any of the free tools.  Some of the tools that you pay for did a better job, but you still have the normal 2003 in a virtual environment issue.

If you really need to have 2003 in a virtual environment, you are better off to build the VM from scratch and re-install the applications.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Hi Tim,

This is an old machine, with an old financial application installed (doesn't have support call anymore).
    Thanks for the reply.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:21 PM
  • So integration services got installed?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:26 PM
  • Not yet Dave.

Regards.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Then the input devices are not going to work. When you do the Action\Insert does the disk show up?

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Dave,
    It inserts the disk, a green bar appears sayng "Inserting integration services disk succeded". But nothing happend after this.

Regards
    Monday, February 13, 2017 6:02 PM
  • I'd look in My Computer for the integration services disk. 

Monday, February 13, 2017 6:25 PM
  • Dave,

I can't unlock the VM to login into it. That's the problem, Action\Ctrl+alt+del doesn't work either.

Regards.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Ok, did not know that. I'd probably try building a new one from ISO as a test to determine if the VM is corrupt.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:50 PM
  • That's  what I will do now.
    Thanks for the attention.

Regards.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:39 AM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:50 PM
  • Dave,

The question is solved. I've tested the VM on another hyper-v host and it worked well. So the problem was in my current hyper-v host, than I reinstalled it and now the VM is working well.

Thanks for the attention again.

Regards,
    Everton Weschenfelder
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Good news then.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Hi Everton,

Glad to hear the issue was solved.

You could mark the reply as answer to help others who met the same issue.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:30 AM