none
DPM 2010 intermittantly fails to communicate with agent RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with our DPM 2010 installation.

We protect six servers on our network, five are running Windows Server 2003 R2 and one is running Windows Server 2008 R2.  Here's what is happening:

All the 2003 R2 based servers are fine, all the agents respond and backups work successully to our HP tape library.  The one server running 2008 R2 however is a different story.  I can install the agent, and it responds fine all of the time.  When I create a protection group with just a small test folder on that server, all is fine.  I have tested this over a number of days without issue.

After all looked OK, I then added the main files and folders, along with the C: drive and System State to the protection group for this 2008 R2 server and in the next day or so everything fails.  The reason for the failure on everything else is that there is still a tape in the drive (for the 2008 R2 server protection group) and the agent on the 2008 R2 box is now failing to communicate with the DPM server.

The only way I can clear the drive is to remove it via the library's front control panel, remove all the tapes from the magazines and then tell DPM to do a full inventory.  Once cleared, I can put all the tapes back into the library.

Like I've mentioned, all five 2003 R2 servers backup successfully via their agents, this 2008 R2 server is OK with the agent and then with a small amount of files.  It's only when I add all the data I want backed up into the 2008 R2 protection group (including the system state) that it fails after a day or so creating failures on all the other jobs due to the tape being "stuck" in the drive I can only assume due to a failed communication with the agent on the 2008 R2 box.

I can work around the problem by scripting the files I need backed up to another server before the protection group job for that target server runs and thus the data is at least in safe keeping, but I'd prefer to use the source 2008 R2 server it I can.

Does anyone have any ideas or things that I can try?

Thanks,

Michael

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Just to check, is there enought disk space on 2008 Server ?

http://blog.simaju.fr - Partage de connaissances et retour d'expériences.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

Any news ?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi there,

To answer you question, 17.7GB is free of the 39.9GB total that is the C: drive on the 2008 server.

Thanks,

Michael

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:39 PM
  • You might want to seperate your problem.

First you want to create two different protection groups. the first one is for your files in the C and the other one is for the system state.

Its important to have these two groups seperated and not running at the same time, also make sure that you put enough time to one of the group to finish so that the other one will start.

Now when you seperate these groups you will know where the problem is, File protections or system state.

Let me know the updates.

// Laith.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

Any news ?

Cheers,

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:51 AM