none
DPM help needed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to DPM and i need some help to understand it.

1) Can i install DPM on at Hyper V Server itself or Out from it? It should be install on a different box with AD, is that correct.

2) Can DPM backup Hyper-V server box and the VM inside?? The Hyper-V is running Win2k8-R2 and VM is running Win2k8-R2 with Exchange 2k7.

3) Does DPM able to backup from Disk to Disk to Tape?? How can i go about doing this kind of backup solution?

4) How does DPM backup the servers? By the used space on the host or as the total space???

5) How many License i do need?? 1 for the host, 1 for hyper-v & 1 for exchange. Or just 1 for hyper-v & 1 for exchange.

Please advise me me, i know above question might sound stupid.

Thanks

Simon Hoo
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1. Yes you can install DPM on Hyper-v server itself. DPM can be installed on any server running Win2k8 R2 (though not core). Due to the hardware requirements on storage, RAM and CPU, most customers install DPM on a seperate Standalone server/VM. DPM cannot coexist on the AD server

2. Yes DPM can backup both guest VM as well as a complete hyper-v host. If DPM agent is installed at hyper-v host, you get complete hyper-v protection, alternatively if DPM agent is installed inside the VM you can protect all DPM supported workload like exchange, sharepoint, sql, files etc..

3. Yes DPM supports Disk to Disk to Tape backups

4. DPM backups the server by used space on host.

You can find a lot of rich information at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/dm/bb655874.aspx

We encourage you to try the eval version of DPM 2010

Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Hi Praveen,

Thanks for replying on my posting.

The answer to the question 1, 2 & 4 is clear enough for me, thanks.

As for question 3, are you able to point to any guide or link that i can follow to config the DPM.

I'm downloading the eval version to try out, if i any problems will post to get advise.

Thanks.

Simon Hoo
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:40 AM
  • I did a quick search on technet docs. The following pages might be helpful for starters:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399662.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399681.aspx

Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Hello Simon,

just a tip, you can use firestreamer (<cite>www.cristalink.com) for </cite>testing purposes.

Cheers

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Thanks guy...

Going to install soon, once i get the green light to go ahead.

Will update once installation complete, or i hit some problems.

Hope everything goes fine...

Thanks again.

FrankPeter: Thanks for the link, great product...

Simon Hoo
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:04 AM