Custom List Alert RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have built a custom list for personnel staffing and building access tracking.  I am trying to figure out a way to send an alert 83 days after a date block - "Building Access Date".  So, if for instance the "Building Access Date" coulmn is 01/19/2016, I am trying to send an alert to someone 83 days after that date (which would be 05/11/2016 I believe).
    The intended purpose is to alert someone in order to request extended building access before the access expires (90 days out).
    I have looked into a similar problem before but did not get a working list created.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Derek,

From your description, you want to send alter 83 days after Building Access Date.

Per my test, you can create a custom workflow using SharePoint Designer.

First, create a Calculated column named “test”, the formula is =Building Access Date +83, the data type returned as Date and Time.

Then edit the list in SharePoint Designer, create a list workflow adding 2 actions: Pause until date and Send an email, you can add some messages in the email body like “the access will expire in 7 days”:

Best regards,                                                                                                       

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Derek Sawyer Monday, May 9, 2016 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

From your description, you want to send alter 83 days after Building Access Date.

Per my test, you can create a custom workflow using SharePoint Designer.

First, create a Calculated column named “test”, the formula is =Building Access Date +83, the data type returned as Date and Time.

Then edit the list in SharePoint Designer, create a list workflow adding 2 actions: Pause until date and Send an email, you can add some messages in the email body like “the access will expire in 7 days”:

Best regards,                                                                                                       

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Derek Sawyer Monday, May 9, 2016 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Thank you for your response Aaren.  I have tried the method you provided and everything looks to be the same.  At the moment I am not receiving an automated e-mail response stating that my building access is almost expired. I am going to set it to send an alert to show up tomorrow and hope that I receive it.
    I will get back to you tomorrow in hopes that it has worked.  Thank you again.

-Derek S.

EDIT 01/20:
    I should also mention that I am still quite new to SharePoint Designer.  I created the workflow within SharePoint Designer 2010, I double checked my work, I "Published" the workflow and saw it on my SharePoint site.  I set my date as 83 days out so that my building access would be expiring today but did not receive the alert.  I also set it so it was 82 days out and other variations, but did not receive an e-mail.  Again, I am going to set it up so my access warning will come in tomorrow and get back with you then.

EDIT 01/21:
    I did not receive an e-mail from the automated system.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Update / Renewal:

I am trying to make a column [Building Access Expiration:] auto-fill, 83 Days out from column [Building Access Date:]
    I am currently trying to make it work in SharePoint Designer 2010.  It seems pretty strait forward, but I am unable to figure it out.
    More still, I am trying to make it so when the [Building Access Expiration:] fills to send an e-mail to a designated user.  Whether it is the user whos building access is expiring, or a people manager.
    If there are any other details I can provide please let me know.
    Any assistance is very much appreciated.  Thank You.

EDIT:
    Also, I have the [Building Access Expiration:] as a Calculated Field that is [Building Access Date:]+90.  At the 90 day mark the individual no longer has any building access, which is why I would like a one week notice to go out at 83 days to the individual or people manager.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Does anyone have any other input for this question?  I hit a stand still for quite some time.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Derek,

For the item you are testing, is the workflow instance already running on it? Workflow instance should be running and workflow should be in paused state for you to receive email alert.

What is the start condition for your workflow, are you triggering the workflow on item creation or manually starting it.

I would suggest manually starting it for existing items and start on item creation from now.

On the side note, you can use PowerShell script to easily accomplish this.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:58 PM