none
Internet Explorer 11 install causes IE and some other MS Applications to stop working or stall. continuously. RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 11 install was attempted on an HP ProBook Win 7 I5 laptop using download from the Microsoft web site.  Now Explorer crashes each time it is launched.  The Stopped Working window indicates “…Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available…” but the program stalls and is unresponsive at that point and IE does not close without intervention.

1. Attempted to uninstall IE but even with hidden files displayed it does not show as an installed software
    2. Attempted to run IE 11 in No Add-ons mode without success.
    3. Attempted reinstall using a new copy of the IE 11 download from another machine copied to a jump drive.  System indicates that a later version is already installed or Installer hangs and will not advance.
    4. On Internet Options menu used REIS to reset to defaults
    5. Installed all Microsoft Win 7 updates but same symptoms recur.
    6.  Attempted Restore from two available points using onboard and Win 7 disk but none resolved the problem.  Using Win 7 64 bit disk, attempted repair and tried all four visible restore points.  An undetectable error in the Restore operation resulted.

Laptop  can access Internet when another browser was temporarily installed.  It was removed following the test during the Restore operation.

Added suggestions?

Monday, January 25, 2016 5:19 PM

Answers

• Hi ChasP,

Thank you for your question.

As I am concerned, the issue has solved, right? If not, please be free to let me know. 

In my opinion, the OS will patch after we install IE for a while. So you come across this issue.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Friday, February 5, 2016 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:43 AM

All replies

• Can you open the Action Center on the taskbar > Maintenance > View reliability history > View all problem reports

Can you right-click on a few of the "Internet Explorer"  "Stopped working" errors > View technical details

What are the details of the errors?

There is a "Copy to Clipboard" link at the bottom.

Paste the information into Notepad and recopy the information from Notepad to post here.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for your post. I left the machine for a couple hours having closed the IE window manually.  It is suddenly working.  I have no explanation except that it must have taken that long to repair itself!  Any thoughts on how that happened?

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:48 PM
  • BEX64 SEEMS TO BE THE COMMON ERROR SO FAR.  THANKS FOR THE INSIGHTS.  THE PROBLEM IS CLEARED FOR THE MOMENT.  I APPRECIATE THE HELP!
    Monday, January 25, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Hi ChasP,

Thank you for your question.

As I am concerned, the issue has solved, right? If not, please be free to let me know. 

In my opinion, the OS will patch after we install IE for a while. So you come across this issue.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Friday, February 5, 2016 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:43 AM