No Upgrade Path to Windows 7 for Movie Maker Videos created under Vista RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading to Windows 7 I can't believe MS just dropped the Move Maker feature with no upgrade path. I have tried the new Windows Live Version but it is limited in functionality and doesn't support projects that were created in Vista. I also tried the 2.6 version also, but it seems to only be XP compatible and doesn't support Vista created projects either. So, how do I continue to work with my Vista created Movie Maker projects on Windows 7? I was hoping that there was a Vista version of Movie Maker that I could download, but all I can find is the 2.6 version or the live version. HELP!
    I am running Windows 7 Pro.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I found the Movie Maker installed in the Vista can be run in the Windows 7 too, you can copy the Movie Maker pgrgram installed on your Vista computer to C:\Program Files folder, or you can extra it from the Vista Installation DVD. I assume your WIndows 7 system is installed in the Drive C.

Once you copy the foler to the C:\Program Files, you would be able to run it, it's better to run it in the Windows Vista compatible mode. Please be awared that this is just a workroung.

Good Luck.
    John
    • Marked as answer by Rick 777 Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:47 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the reply, but you obviously didn't even read the initial problem. The new Windows Live Movie Maker as you suggested is not compatible with projects created under Vista Movie Maker which is the problem.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

I found the Movie Maker installed in the Vista can be run in the Windows 7 too, you can copy the Movie Maker pgrgram installed on your Vista computer to C:\Program Files folder, or you can extra it from the Vista Installation DVD. I assume your WIndows 7 system is installed in the Drive C.

Once you copy the foler to the C:\Program Files, you would be able to run it, it's better to run it in the Windows Vista compatible mode. Please be awared that this is just a workroung.

Good Luck.
    John
    • Marked as answer by Rick 777 Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hello John,
    Thanks for the reply and idea. That works.
    Regards,
    Rick
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:45 PM