none
DPM 2016 - pausing tape backup (virtual tape library) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In DPM 2016, is there any way to pause a tape backup job?

With a real tape library, I would assume that if it ran out of write-able tapes, that the job would stop to wait for blank tapes to be loaded (unless DPM's behaviour is to fail the tape backup job if it runs out of write-able tapes ...).  In a virtual tape library (eg. FireStreamer), we have to unload all of the tapes from the tape library to change them, which appears to fail the tape backup job.

Thanks

Friday, September 8, 2017 4:57 AM

All replies

• Why would you have unload all tapes from the tape library ? A VTL should visible to DPM as a physical tape library. So it needs to emulate the import/export (mailslots) and any new virtual tapes should be inserted into those slots which can then be pulled into the library. Only case where this might not work is if there are no free storage slots.
    Monday, October 2, 2017 10:20 PM
  • You cant pause the DPM tape backup jobs (unfortunately) but you can alter the wait period for the job to fail if another free tape isn't available. You can do so by adjusting the Prompting Timeout value (see below and also https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2015/05/20/an-in-depth-look-at-the-registry-settings-that-control-microsoft-dpm-2012/ ) I've been in situations during implementations when I had to adjust this value up to three days just to make sure the job wouldn't fail during a weekend if I couldn't get back to the library before Monday.

Prompting Timeout

This prompting timeout can be configured by adding this registry entry on the DPM Server. Restart the DPMRA service for it to take effect.

Location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting
    Value Name PromptingTimeOut
    Type REG_DWORD
    Value 3600000 (Timeout in MS decimal) The Formula is (#hrs*1000*60*60)

Sassan Karai

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:57 PM