none
How to add 'Risks' to 'Tasks' & 'Sub-tasks' in Desktop app for MS Project Professional 2016 (not Web App)? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently downloaded the MS Project Professional 2016 and wanted to add risks (for risk management & mitigation). I found forums for adding risks on the web app, but did not find a way to add risk while using the desktop app. I would appreciate your help. Thanks. 
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Only Project Online (with Project Web App) proposes to manage risks through a dedicated sharepoint list. There is no such a feature in MS Project Pro, whatever the version. You could always create some task custom fields to add risks to some tasks, like risk name, probability, exposure, cost... But note that Project desktop is not intended to do risk management, I'd rather use Excel.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Saturday, October 15, 2016 11:23 PM
  • In addition to Guillaume's comments, you can effectively use Project managing the risk mitigation "tasks" that lead to defined "deliverables" (perhaps in your Risk Mitigation Plan).  These tasks to deliver things that mitigate risks are every much the same as other project deliverables--just a different purpose/value.  Once funded and approved for execution and delivery, those activities intended to mitigate risks are truly project deliverables and in my view should be in the project plan and in Project.

But the defined "risks" (described normally by a risk name, probability, impact, mitigation plan, etc. are not in themselves project deliverables and the standard analytical methodology for risk assessment and decision making is not a part of Microsoft Project.

What you found was Project Online (and their Project Server product), Microsoft provides some starter lists expressed in SharePoint Lists as part of that product.  This product integrates with Microsoft Project Professional. Microsoft Project Professional is the schedule computation and data management tool.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Sunday, October 16, 2016 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Only Project Online (with Project Web App) proposes to manage risks through a dedicated sharepoint list. There is no such a feature in MS Project Pro, whatever the version. You could always create some task custom fields to add risks to some tasks, like risk name, probability, exposure, cost... But note that Project desktop is not intended to do risk management, I'd rather use Excel.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Saturday, October 15, 2016 11:23 PM
  • In addition to Guillaume's comments, you can effectively use Project managing the risk mitigation "tasks" that lead to defined "deliverables" (perhaps in your Risk Mitigation Plan).  These tasks to deliver things that mitigate risks are every much the same as other project deliverables--just a different purpose/value.  Once funded and approved for execution and delivery, those activities intended to mitigate risks are truly project deliverables and in my view should be in the project plan and in Project.

But the defined "risks" (described normally by a risk name, probability, impact, mitigation plan, etc. are not in themselves project deliverables and the standard analytical methodology for risk assessment and decision making is not a part of Microsoft Project.

What you found was Project Online (and their Project Server product), Microsoft provides some starter lists expressed in SharePoint Lists as part of that product.  This product integrates with Microsoft Project Professional. Microsoft Project Professional is the schedule computation and data management tool.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 4:45 AM
  • Thank you very much Guillaume. Not sure if you share the same thought, that it is counter intuitive as to why web app would have 'risk' feature and desktop app won't. Best regards.
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Thank you Rob. I was in fact thinking of adding a 'sub-task', calling it 'risk' and then dedicate resources based on its critical nature and 'duration'. So you are right, that 'risk' is nothing but a deliverable that must be completed for a 'task' to progress (if I understand you correctly). Best regards. 
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Yes, I think you get what I'm saying. But I recommend you tighten up on your nomenclature a bit which may affect what you do.

PMI defines a project risk as "an uncertain event or condition that, if it occurs, has positive or negative effect on the project's objectives."

Risks are really not "schedule-able".  They "might" happen, and *if* they happen, then there is some sort of impact (safety, cost, schedule, reputation, etc.).  In my view, you should not schedule and execute the plan of things that might happen until they happen.  You schedule and plan for the things that "mitigate" those things happen, or if you plan then you have a contingency plan developed to kick in when the risk happens.  Delivery of the "contingency plan" surely should be a budgeted project deliverable and in the plan.  Execution of the contingency plan is ex-budget and held in contingency or management reserve budgets/plans and not normally in the project plan.  

I've seen organisations who had lists of risks that they actively tried to eliminate and "get off the list".  People who could not swat their risk lists were sometimes held back in their careers.  Risks were confused with things normally called in the profession as "issues" ... or real problems that we have to work.  Risks are not real till they happen.

Get all the things promised by the project team as deliverables, whether their purpose is to meet the project's objectives, or to "help" achievement of those deliverables by being risk mitigation deliverables.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:19 AM