SCVMM: CMDLETs RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Is it posibble to install SCVMM cmdlets without install SCVMM console ??

Thanks

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:57 AM

Answers

• Today there is no ability to de-couple loading the powershell module from the admin console.

Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

• Customers who have installed Virtual Machine Manager can access both standard Windows PowerShell cmdlets and Virtual Machine Manager cmdlets at the Virtual Machine Manager command-line interface. Windows PowerShell command-line Help for the standard Windows PowerShell cmdlets is provided with Windows; command-line Help for Virtual Machine Manager cmdlets is provided with the Virtual Machine Manager product.

Source

You can use the standard Windows PowerShell cmdlets together with the cmdlets that are provided by System Center Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) for interactive system administration and for scripting administrative tasks. Standard Windows PowerShell cmdlets and VMM cmdlets are available on any computer on which the VMM Administrator Console is installed.

Source

To display the type, methods, and properties for the Virtual Machine Manager server object

1. On a VMM server on which the Administrator Console for VMM is installed, click Start , click All Programs , click Microsoft System Center , click Virtual Machine Manager 2008 , and then click Windows PowerShell – Virtual Machine Manager .
    2. At the command prompt, type the following commands:
    3. $VMMServer = Get-VMMServer -Computername "<YourVMMServerName>.<YourDomainName>.com"

$VMMServer | Get-Member

1. Confirm that the output displays the object type, a set of methods, and a set of properties for the server object.

Source

So I believe that you need the VMM console to have VMM cmdlets

• Proposed as answer by M Fawzi Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Hi

I've installed SCVMM server & console on a ServerA

If I don't install SCVMM console on ClientA, I can't launch SCVMM cmdlets (example: Get-VMMServer) from ClientA  to access ServerA....

Thanks

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Today there is no ability to de-couple loading the powershell module from the admin console.

Carmen M. Summers (MSFT) --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Look

1) I've install SCVMM console on ClientA.

2) On ClientB. I've copied SCVMM bin folder from ClientA to ClientB (C:\SCCM_bin)

3) On ClientB. I've launch

....Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\installUtil.exe" /LogFile= /LogToConsole=false "C:\SCCM_bin\Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.dll"

4) On ClientB. I open powershell and launch Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager

5) now, I can execute SCVMM cmdlet on ClientB without install SCVMM Console

Is it supported??

Thanks

Friday, August 20, 2010 9:25 AM
  • no, this is not supported.

Thanks,

Uttara

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:07 AM