Transaction logs on one of the databases is rapidly increasing (Exchange 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

We've exchange 2010 in our environment. Transaction logs on one of the databases is rapidly increasing.  I installed EXMON utility to check which mailbox consuming high CPU and Log Bytes, and I couldn't find anything as the mailbox consuming high CPU and log bytes in EXMON is sitting in a different database and not this one, so it seems something else is causing this issue on this database. Kindly advice.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Ammar,

Have a look at all the queues in your server to ensure that no public folder replication messages or spam messages are been sent out from our organization.

Ensure that the backup is scheduled properly. The step of selecting VSS full backup in advanced options page as per below

If you install any Antivirus software, which is not aware of exchange databases and log files then this will definitely cause the transaction logs to grow rapidly. I suggest you disable them and check again.

It's also suggested that looking into the Event Viewer to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included.

What's more, here's a blog for your reference, try the solutions in it.

Troubleshooting Rapid Growth in Databases and Transaction Log Files in Exchange Server 2007 and 2010

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 31, 2019 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi

Are you backing up exchange at all and if so is it truncating the log files?

Can you check the IIS logs if you see anything in them?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

We take the full backup every alternate day, and it does truncate the logs. However, transaction logs on this database is growing so fast that we can't wait for 24hrs also. Drive gets full in just few hours, it consumes 1GB in every 10 to 12 minutes. Other databases have got more number of mailboxes than this DB but they are absolutely fine.

Could you please guide me how to check in the IIS logs?

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:47 PM
  • How big is the drive?

you could look at circular logging temporarily to help you out.

Also check for any issues with activesync devices that could be causing it.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:55 PM
  • This is what I did. I've temporarily enabled "Circular logging" on this database until this issue is fixed. Drive is almost 350GB.

If It's an active sync issue, then from where can I check whose device is causing this issue.

Regards,

AB

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Hi Ammar,

Have a look at all the queues in your server to ensure that no public folder replication messages or spam messages are been sent out from our organization.

Ensure that the backup is scheduled properly. The step of selecting VSS full backup in advanced options page as per below

If you install any Antivirus software, which is not aware of exchange databases and log files then this will definitely cause the transaction logs to grow rapidly. I suggest you disable them and check again.

It's also suggested that looking into the Event Viewer to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included.

What's more, here's a blog for your reference, try the solutions in it.

Troubleshooting Rapid Growth in Databases and Transaction Log Files in Exchange Server 2007 and 2010

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 31, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi Ammar,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hello Kelvin,

I could see Public folder replication queue is there, but how can I check what's causing this issue as we have 10 databases, but only this DB has this issue rest all are working fine.

Regards,

AB

Monday, June 10, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hi Ammar,

Sometimes public folder replicas on the affected mailbox server could cause the problem. You could delete the public folder replications in the queue, then check the issue disappears or not. If you want to verify Public Folder replica and Replication status, a script which reports upon Public Folder replication status in a graphical format, you could download and test the tool which is available on the TechNet scripting gallery

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:49 AM
  • Hi ,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:01 AM