Outlook 2016 randomly crashing during message composition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a user who's Outlook 2016 is randomly crashing when composing a new message or meeting invite.  The error is random and may sometimes go days or weeks before occurring again.  Some things I have tried to fix, is repair PSTs, rebuilding of an .OST file as several accounts are configured in the profile.  Deleting and recreating of the send and receive settings (.srs) file and deleting and recreating of the mspst32.dll. Some times the crash is severe, in where Outlook has to be restarted several time to get past the error. The event log shows an error at the time of each crash relating to the mspst32.dll file. If anyone has a possible solution on how to fix this, I'd love to hear it.  Thanks.

Regards,

PlazmaBern

• Edited by PlazmaBern Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi PlazmaBern,

Does it happen to all accounts configured in Outlook?

Does Outlook crash during composing or when clicking Send button?

Normally, mspst32.dl is related with data file corruption or broken MSPST32.dll file.

We can first try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, what’s the size of PST and OST file? If the file size is too large, they will easily get corrupted.

What’s more, do you have any antivirus or scanning software running on this PC? If yes, we can temporarily close them to check the result.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:13 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi Perry,

There are a few pop and imap accounts, and there is also an Exchange 2013 account in the mix.  How would it be determined if its related to a specific account on a new message that's being composed?

The crashes are periodically occurring when composing (typing) the message, in which the message window may be left opened for an undetermined length of time before completing, and then out of nowhere, the application crashes for no identifiable reason.

I could try the safe mode routine, however I'd have no idea how long to run outlook this way before it may or may not crash for days or weeks for a problem that is randomly occurring.

I have tried repairing the individual .PST files by running the scanpst tool and recreating the .ost file by deleting the file and having it download from scratch to start a new file off exchange.  The only thing I haven't attempted is exporting the contents of the .pst files into new ones. The .pst file sizes are all well within allowable limits.

Third party COM plugins have been disabled including the one that belongs to antivirus.  The antivirus that is being used runs on other machines without issue.

A few things come to mind regarding the problem.  First off, there have been a few crashes that require outlook to be restarted several times in a row before it will run again correctly, in speculation it may be attempting to process through something that's bad before it will clear.  Also, is there such a thing as a corrupted contact that could cause a problem? Thanks for you reply.

Regards,

PlazmaBern

Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:17 PM
  • Hi PlazmaBern,

Thank you for your update. As it is randomly occurring, it may be hard to find the root cause.

What's the detailed version of Outlook 2016? We can install the newest updates to see if it helps.

>>How would it be determined if its related to a specific account on a new message that's being composed?

Does Outlook crash when you writing a new email from a specific account?

Have you tried a new profile? Please check steps in this link.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, December 14, 2018 5:41 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, December 17, 2018 5:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:49 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2018 5:39 AM
  • Just check if Outlook still crash when composing new email. I'. wondering if there are anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, December 17, 2018 5:30 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply.  Haven't had an opportunity to look at it.  As soon as I can, I will reply back.

Regards,

PlazmaBern

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 5:02 PM
  • No problem~

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:11 AM