Will Service Broker work between SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that is a very generic question and it could depend on our application. We are looking to upgrade from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012. We use Service Broker and we would like to know if we upgraded one of the SQL Servers in our topology to SQL 2012 if service broker is compatible between 2008 R2 and 2012 versions, i.e. is this a supported scenario or do we need to upgrade all of our servers to SQL 2012 at the same time? I have yet to run upgrade advisor against any of our databases but I'm not sure if its worth going down this path if this scenario is not supported. I have not found anything online that indicates whether this is or not and the SQL 2012 Service Broker documentation is limited based on the following statement on found on the MSDN article for Service Broker 2012:

See the "link" for Service Broker concepts and for development and management tasks. This documentation is not reproduced in the SQL Server 2012 documentation due to the small number of changes in Service Broker in SQL Server 2012.

I would appreciate any feedback or guidance on this topic. Thank you.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:11 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of incompatibilities between SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012 regarding service broker.  If you are using distributed messaging , make sure you are mindful to preserve certificates used for authentication and encryption, especially in the case of a side-by-side upgrade.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:45 AM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:38 AM

All replies

• I'm not aware of incompatibilities between SQL Server 2008 R2 and 2012 regarding service broker.  If you are using distributed messaging , make sure you are mindful to preserve certificates used for authentication and encryption, especially in the case of a side-by-side upgrade.

Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://www.dbdelta.com

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:45 AM
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Hi Dan - thank you. Useful information.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:05 PM