SCSM R2 Duplicate Email Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hello anyone! I recently installed SCSM R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2 and created my Service Manager environment. I incorporated an Active Directory connector so I could notify affected users and assigned users of incident creation, assignment and resolution. I followed instructions based off various guides I found and created a custom management pack to store all my templates, workflows, etc. I am only deploying three custom workflows within my Incident Event Workflow Configuration. Those three workflows are as follows:

1) Create Event - Incident Created - This workflows will send an email notification to the affected user that an Incident has been created.

2) Update Event - Incident Assignment - This workflow will send an email notification to the assigned to user.

3) Update Event - Incident Closed - This workflow will send an email notification to the affected user when the incident has been resolved. 

I am using custom notification templates for each of the workflows and they all three are working, doing what they are intended to do except for one aggravating issue. In regards to the "Incident Assignment" workflow the "assigned to" user is receiving two emails (exact replicas) notifying that the ticket has been assigned to them. My notification list within the "Incident Event Workflow Configuration" properties for the Incident Assignment workflow is as follows:

Under Notification List:

User - Assigned to User , Message Template - Incident Assignment Email Notification. This is the only notification added to the notification list. I do not understand why it is sending two emails to the "Assigned to User". If anyone is experiencing a similar issue or can help please do. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• What criteria is used to trigger the "Incident Assignment" workflow?

Just for information: Cireson are offering a nice solution ready-to-go for free: Notify Analyst

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 4:03 PM
  • The criteria to trigger Incident Assignment is Change To - Assiged to User [Domain or Group] User name "is not empty".
    • Edited by BlueCamo Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:27 PM Wrong Explanation
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:07 PM
  • So you have defined  the critera "Change from Assigned To User is empty" and "Change to Assigned To User is not empty"?

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:28 PM
  • No just this -  Assigned to User is [Domain User of Group] User Name is not empty.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:35 PM
  • Please add the "Assigned To User is empty" on the "Change from" tab as well. This might solve the issue.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:38 PM
  • I cannot locate the Assigned to User category on the changed from tab. On the changed to tab, I can expand Incident and the Assigned to User category is below it. On the changed from tab I cannot expand Incident and there are no other categories to choose from. 
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:49 PM
  • There is another solution to get this done: Workflow mail notification for “Assigned To” field (Change, Incident, ServiceRequest, Problem, Release, Activities)

Some things are really "hard" to get in SCSM ;-)

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Thank you Andreas! This MP did fix my issue. To anyone out there that needs to know the steps taken after downloading the MP please see below. 

1) Go to the link listed by Andreas Baumgarten above. Download the Lumagate.AssignedToNotification.xml MP. Save it to a network share you can access from your SCSM server.

2) Navigate to the Administration tab in your SCSM console. Select Management Packs and then choose import under Management Packs in the Tasks section.

3) Once you have imported the MP go to the Workflow Configuration section under Administration still. 

4) Choose your desired workflow to edit (in my case, Incident Event Workflow Configuration) and click properties. 

5) From there you can Add a new workflow and select the Lumgate MP. I was able to leave the criteria and notification list sections blank and chose "Do not apply a template" under "Select Incident Template". Make sure this workflow is enabled and you may need to disable your existing custom workflows if any were previously created. 

6) Lastly, I went and customized the Notification templates from the MP to better suit my company. You can edit the HTML in the message body to fit your needs. 

Brian Toms

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you solved the issue.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:56 PM