locked
Server Manager fails with 'Online - Data retrieval failures occured' with WinRM client received an HTTP status code of 504 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm struggling to get Server Manager working on my admin workstation. All servers fail with Online - Data retrieval failures occured' and the following error:

    The WinRM client received an HTTP status code of 504 from the remote WS-Management service.

    I tried re-installing RSAT, upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and installed the new RSATs but the problem still exists. It seems to be something to do with my workstation as it does it if I log on with a different admin account. I really don't want to wipe and re-install Windows.

    I've tried running Set-WSManQuickConfig to ensure that everything is set for WinRM.

    If I do a:

    Test-WSMan hostname

    I get the correct values returned.

    I've tried:

    Invoke-Command -ComputerName hostname -ScriptBlock {Get-ChildItem C:\} -credential username

    and I get a directory listing of the C: drive of the remote server as expected.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks for reading and replying.

    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:59 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Is there any firewall or proxy between the server and the client? If yes, please try to put the client into the same subnet of the server for a test.

    If it doesn't work, please try to follow the guide below to check if any system file is corrupt.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

    Best Regards.


    Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, November 23, 2015 7:32 AM
  • Thanks Steven,

    There is no proxy between the server and client and my firewall is off for the domain.

    I've tried doing a DISM restore by mounting the Windows 10 ISO to drive E: and using the following command:

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:e:\sources\install.wim:1

    This ran successfully and reported that some errors has been fixed.

    I also ran:

    sfc /scannow

    This also ran successfully and reported that errors had been fixed.

    Unfortunately, Server Manager still comes up with the same error on my workstation. It works fine for me on other computers, so I may have to admit defeat and look to do a fresh install at some point.

    Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

    Jim

    Monday, November 23, 2015 9:39 AM