none
Added distribution shares and now I am unable to image anything

Question

• I have 6 different distribution shares that I have setup in my MDT Deployment Workbench.  Each one corresponds with the type of system that will use the images.  I have all the drivers loaded for each system in that distribution share along with a task sequence and selection profile for each system.  When I try to image a system, I get the network path was not found error message even though all my shares NTFS and share permissions are set to allow everyone read access

I am not sure why I am not able to image after my initial testing with only 3 systems but I really need to get this working.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Edited by TBingeman Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:13 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Answers

• The issue with the second error was because of a DNS issue with me running the VM within VMWare Workstation and not on our ESXi hosts.  I have sorted this out by providing a static IP address instead of a DHCP address.  This should alleviate the issues I have been seeing.
    • Marked as answer by TBingeman Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:35 AM
    Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:35 AM

All replies

• I am using the latest version of MDT and using a Windows Server 2016 VM within VMWare Workstation Pro 14.  The network adapter is bridged so the server is using it's own IP address.  The 2 largest distribution shares only are set for 8 specific Dell system models in each share.  We are using the Windows 10 x64 1709 media as the operating system media for these installs and really need to get this up and running so we are able to reimage machines and put in the applications we want installed on them.
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:25 PM
  • Post your BDD.log file via a public hosting site. There are several causes why network connection can‘t be established and there is simply not enough information here,

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, May 18, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Pressing F8 to get to the command line and searching for the BDD.log file results in no files found.  I am not even getting to the point where the task sequence starts up.  I get the MDT background, since I do not have a custom background setup, and then this box comes up asking for credentials.  I have added all the drivers for the systems into their respective folders in the deployment share and made sure I got the latest versions from Dell via their cab files.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 3:40 PM
  • Weird. Usually if MDT gets to the point where it queries your credentials it should write initial parts of the BDD.log. Did you check all possible log locations as it tends to bounce around. You may also want to verify if there are any remnants from an old install as it may „confuse“ MDT as well.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Anton,

I have done a dir /s /b bdd.log on both the C: and the X: drives to no avail.

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:23 PM
  • Are there any other drives available? Have you tried running diskpart clean on your hard drive?

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:26 PM
  • Anton,

There are no other drives available and I have now done a diskpart to clean the drive.  I have run the install again and now am getting a different error.  I am attaching that error to this reply.

Friday, May 18, 2018 6:01 PM
  • A link to the BDD.log file from this last run is below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnkJZ7azSrQpafZpqoE-GOvcIaM

Friday, May 18, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Yes, your log file basically says the same thing: „Unable to connect to share: The network path was not found.„ At this point it is either a permissions or a networking issue. You could start by verifying that the user you are utilizing has been granted permissions on the share, that the path exists. You could also include FQDN for your deployment share in your Bootstrap.ini. Can you ping the target server from the command prompt? If you initially generated your boot images with a different Bootstrap.ini, sometimes fully regenerating boot images also helps. I know this sounds like stabs in the dark, but the BDD.log does not really give me much to go on here...

Cheers,
    Anton

Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:25 AM
  • The issue with the second error was because of a DNS issue with me running the VM within VMWare Workstation and not on our ESXi hosts.  I have sorted this out by providing a static IP address instead of a DHCP address.  This should alleviate the issues I have been seeing.
    • Marked as answer by TBingeman Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:35 AM
    Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:35 AM