App-V 5.0 SP1 Client package publishing error 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I need some help with some specific error which others also seem to have. But because there are different threads with partial different error codes and scenarios, i decided to create a new thread for my problem with exact environment specifications. So someone can maybe help me better this way.

I've sequenced 15 packages on App-V 5.0 (SP1) so far and 3 of them have this specific error with code 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057:
    Package {package-GUID} version {version-GUID} failed configuration in folder 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\{package-GUID}\{version-GUID}' with error 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057.
    The 3 packages are GIMP, XMind (some Mindmap Software) and Audacity (an audio editing software). But i don't think it's a problem with the software itself...

My environment is:

• App-V Streaming Server -> Windows Server 2012 with SQL 2012 Standard (most packages streaming flawless, so i don't think the error is to search in the server)
    • App-V Sequencers -> Tried to sequence the package (especially XMind was the one i took for further testing) on Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1 (x86) one with all the local packages installed which are on a normal client like (Java, Flashplayer, Office etc.) and another Win7 Ent SP1 x86 without any additional software installed. Also i set up a fresh Win8 Enterprise x64 and tried to sequence the package there. Of course the Sequencer is also 5.0 SP1!
      Sequencing always goes without any errors (only warnings about excluded files or not supported shell extensions, but thats normal i believe... i also removed the unsupported shell extensions from virtual registry, but that didn't help)
    • Client is (always 5.0 SP1) installed on Win8 Enterprise x64 or Win7 Enterprise x64, error occurs on both OS.

The errors i've got in the event viewer:

• App-V -> Client -> Admin Log says as mentioned before: Package {73069ba1-3d65-4b8e-a6e9-09d5cef967c9} version {f86e76b2-78c7-490c-a42b-e53fc2bfb6fb} failed configuration in folder 'C:\ProgramData\App-V\73069BA1-3D65-4B8E-A6E9-09D5CEF967C9\F86E76B2-78C7-490C-A42B-E53FC2BFB6FB' with error 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057.
    • App-V -> Streaming-Manager -> Debug:
      Information: Microsoft AppV Streaming Manager Session created for URI \\apvserveradress\AppV_Content$\Diverse\XMind_3_GE_x64\XMind_3_GE_x64.appv and user SID S-1-5-21-933032516-4060937889-my-user. (Some values anonymized ;))

Information: Microsoft AppV Streaming Manager Stage-Package initiated.

ERROR: Failed to retrieve package source root opt out setting from machine policy for package version {f86e76b2-78c7-490c-a42b-e53fc2bfb6fb} with status 4490208696731238406. (this error appears with or without package source root set with GPO to %programdata%\App-V)

Information:  Microsoft AppV Streaming Manager Session deleted for URI \\apvserveradress\AppV_Content$\Diverse\XMind_3_GE_x64\XMind_3_GE_x64.appv and user SID S-1-5-21-933032516-4060937889-my-user.

ERROR: Microsoft AppV Streaming Manager Stage-Package failed with status wrong parameter., Package Version {f86e76b2-78c7-490c-a42b-e53fc2bfb6fb}.

Hmm i didn't activated all detailed logs... i did now and try a reboot... but it's really strange because i didn't do something special while sequencing this packages or the one's which are working without any errors... so i also didn't get the wrong parameter message, i compared the userconfig and the deploymentconfig files with one which didn't produce any errors and can't see any differences which could be a wrong parameter...

Help please... if someone thinks there should be more errors somewhere, let me know... i - as i said - activated now all detailed logs unter Microsoft -> App-V in the event viewer...

i don't get the problem myself, sorry guys... :(

greets
    Stephan

Friday, May 3, 2013 5:43 AM

Answers

• Running App-V Client version SP2 Hotfix 4

I struggled with the same issue [Error Module: Streaming Manager], and attempted all of the above proposed suggestions (re-sequencing, re-installing app-v client, enabling full verbose logging - and always encountered the same error, etc. etc.) What finally worked for me was deleting the root folder for App-V and having the add-appvclientpackage command lay it down again.

To clarify - this is what I deleted on the client: C:\ProgramData\AppV\

Then run the add-appvclientpackage command again, everything will work, I promise. (Elevated permissions, of course.)

Cheers,

Ilya

Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:18 PM

All replies

• There is a another similar thread here for 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdopappv/thread/22aea0c3-6206-4621-bfe9-41e0e1da6f35

We've seen this error on a number of packages which all sequence correctly, yet to see any real answers as the detailed logs in these cases don't give enough for us mere mortals to deterimine what is wrong.

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:15 AM
  • I know that thread, but it has a marked answer (which isn't the answer for my/our problem) and i'm not sure if this other thread is still observed from the app-v geniouses ;) And wanted to give exact informations about my problem and in the other thread it remains unseen maybe because it would be just a post in an already answered thread.

Hopefully someone in here have the nerves to help me to find a solution:)

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Did you try and separate your environment? To specify your problem to a part of the App-V chain?

1. Clean OS with App-V 5 Client installed and NO other software NO policies and NO App-V Infrastructure. You could check if your applications are packaged correctly. Publish all the packages to your App-V client. (You might discover duplicated PackageVersion Guids etc).
    2. After testing the packages, you could test the publishing server by adding them manually.
    3. Keep adding more of you Infrastructure until it breacks.
    4. You could also try and remove the applications from cache. Through  Powershell code: 
    Get-AppvClientPackage -All | Stop-AppvClientPackage -Global | Repair-AppvClientPackage -Global | Unpublish-AppvClientPackage | Remove-AppvClientPackage

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Hello,

I would say you need to investigate all the event logs to identify the error.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Saturday, May 4, 2013 8:24 AM
  • .... NO policies and NO App-V Infrastructure. You could check if your applications are packaged correctly. Publish all the packages to your App-V client.

@Roel Beijnes: What do you mean by NO App-V Infrastructure?... installing the msi of the package manually not publishing it via with a server?

Monday, May 6, 2013 12:36 PM
  • The only additional errors in the event logs are:

in Client-Orchestration

• ConfigurePackage activity #3 failed with error code 0x55900C02-0x501
    • ConfigurePackage activity #3 was failed by component StreamingManager (error: 0x55900C02-0x501), initiating a CofigurePackageUndo.
    • Activity ConfigurePackage #3 failed on component StreamingManager (error: 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057).

And in Streaming-Transport i've got an error for auto proxy detection for URL xyz failed with status element not found... we don't have any proxy so it's obvious...

and a lot of errors in Client-RegistryNotification:

• Failed loading configuration value 'Client\Streaming\MultirangeEvenIfBranchCacheEnabled' with error code: 0x7BB0342500000002
    • Failed loading configuration value 'Client\Publishing\Servers\2\Name' with error code: 0x7BB0342500000002
    • Failed loading configuration value 'Client\Publishing\Servers\2\URL' with error code: 0x7BB0342500000002
    • Failed loading configuration value 'Client\Publishing\Servers\2\GlobalEnabled' with error code: 0x7BB0342500000002
    • a lot more of this kind with Client\Publishing\Servers\number 2 to 5 but all with the same error code

But i only have 1 server configured so I think it's obvious that the 2-5 entrys are empty and causing this error?!?

The rest of the logs are only informational and explicitly entries.

All on a fresh installed Win 8 OS with only the App-V Client installed and no other software as Roel Beijnes recommended (BUT with only the App-V Configuration GPO added where the publishing and reporting server is configured, package installation root is set to %programdata%\App-V, setting of automatic loading of previous used applications and client scripting is enabled (scripting was disabled first, makes no difference).
    The App-V Server is only for app-v, no other purposes.

Monday, May 6, 2013 12:39 PM
  • I tried to install the Package MSIs on a clean installed win8 without any software or policys etc. only the win8 enterprise installation and app-v 5.0 sp1 client installed. nothing else... producing the same errors as in our normal environment and this dialogs while installing the msi ....

so it has to be with the software in the package or the package itself, but i resequenced it several times and never had some errors and all the checks were positive in the sequencer. I really don't get it...argh... the id's of the package and the version matches with the one's in the .appv file etc. no duplicated id's or something... i only installed one functioning package and this GIMP package and receive this error.

Maybe someone would try to sequence e.g. the newest version of GIMP and then let's see if it produces the similar erros...

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Are you publishing all packages the same way (i.e. use the same protocol/server/share combination) and publish them to users/computers/groups?

Because the Management Console doesn't show it to you, you may need to look into the SQL database (I don't have the table on-hand, could be something like package versio)) for that info 

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Yes, I'm publishing all the packages the same way (all from the same server, all with AD groups and they're all sequenced on the same machine) and I read the 5.0 Sequencing Guide.

I already checked the package version table and it matches the versions in the xml-files and in the web based admin interface on the App-V server. I have to say I'm using other ports (1234, 1235 and 1236), but that also shouldn't be a problem because 12 of 15 packages are streamed normally and run without an error.

And in the last test I just installed the packages with the msi file without any server or something else configured to the app-v client, it's only a fresh Win 8 machine added to the domain but without any policies applying to the user or machine (just added it to the domain to log in with a domain user) so there isn't any sql database behind it. But even in the normal environment with server, gpo's etc. there are the same errors as there are without any infrastructure behind the msi installation method. So I think the problem really has to be in the package itself, but I don't see the cause... and i repackaged them several times (also on different OSes Win7 and Win8 and with App-V 5.0 sequencer or App-V 5.0 SP1 sequencer).

I'll try to get help from some expert I know, because I think it's a really strange problem and sometimes it's good to have local support to investigate the cause. I hope he's got time for me in the near future and is already familiar with App-V 5... So if no one here has any further ideas, I hope he can help me and if he can and we solve it, i'll come back here and post the cause and possible solution.

We all know have a complicated job sometimes ;)

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:23 AM

• Stephan, I would like to know what information you find out from you're expert.  I too am having a problem this same error 0x4C401C0C-0x80070057 with a package that is sequenced.  I agree that it's not necessarily a server issue, but one of the sequenced package as most of my other packages are just fine.  And likewise, we're already running SP1, so the aforementioned hotfix is not applicable.

Nick Moseley | http://t3chn1ck.wordpress.com

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Hello Stephan,

I too am experiencing the same issue.

Rather than starting with the full App-V infrastructure though I simply installed the sequencer (App-V 5.0 SP1) on a clean VM running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (including SP1 and fully patched).  I then sequenced one of the simplest apps we use (Workrave) and tried to 'install' it as a stand-alone app onto another clean VM again running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (including SP1 and fully patched).  I believed that this would be the cleanest solution and would allow me to 'test' the applications before going to the trouble of configuring the full infrastructure.

Running the .msi file gave me the same error as you: (ref. your post Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:26 AM).

I got the same error when trying to install via PowerShell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Scope CurrentUser

PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-Module Appvclient

PS C:\Windows\system32> Add-AppvClientPackage -Path 'C:\AppTest_1.10.0_x86\AppTest_1.10.0_x86.appv'

Add-AppvClientPackage : Application Virtualization Service failed to complete requested operation.

Operation attempted: Configure AppV Package.

AppV Error Code: 0C80070057.

Error module: Streaming Manager. Internal error detail: 4C401C0C80070057.

Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.

At line:1 char:1

+ Add-AppvClientPackage -Path 'C:\AppTest_1.10.0_x86\AppTest_1.10.0_x86.appv

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Add-AppvClientPackage], ClientException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConfigurePackageError,Microsoft.AppV.AppvClientPowerShell.AddAppvPackage

I have re-built both the sequencer and client VMs from scratch and tried it all again.  No luck.  I then tried using 64-bit versions of Windows but encountered the same issue.

I too have enabled the Analytic and Debug Logs for AppV in Event Manager and see some of same error events as you:

• \AppV\Client\Admin
    • \AppV\Client-Orchestration\Debug
    • \AppV\Client\Streaming-Manager\Debug

I do not however have anything in:

• \AppV\Client-RegistryNotification

I suppose it might just be the application I chose to sequence but it is rather putting me off trying anything more complicated...

Please do let us know if you get to the bottom of it...

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 3:24 PM
  • I just published a post yesterday with the same error (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdopappv/thread/c5fe27ee-c0a3-4b44-ab7f-fd4aee82ffb6)

My setup is slightly different however. We are running the RDS client in stand alone mode (i.e. no publishing server) and doing all of the package publishing with PowerShell. My results are the same. I'm extremely curious as to a proper solution on this.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 3:41 PM
  • I just managed to solve my problem. I was attempting to run my package on Windows 2012 RDS client, but had sequenced it on a Win 7 x64 system. I resequenced on Windows 2012 and it worked perfectly. You may try building a sequencer that matches your clients exactly and try again.
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Hi Dennis

Great you could solve your problem and thanks for the tip. But i already sequenced it on a machine that exactly matches my client (even a Win8 with AND without all the software installed similar to my clients), but it didn't help. And also sequenced it on a Win7 and tested it on a Win7 machine, same problems on every constellation.

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:22 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft

Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

I would try this with App-V 5.0 SP2, and see if that resolves the issue

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Running App-V Client version SP2 Hotfix 4

I struggled with the same issue [Error Module: Streaming Manager], and attempted all of the above proposed suggestions (re-sequencing, re-installing app-v client, enabling full verbose logging - and always encountered the same error, etc. etc.) What finally worked for me was deleting the root folder for App-V and having the add-appvclientpackage command lay it down again.

To clarify - this is what I deleted on the client: C:\ProgramData\AppV\

Then run the add-appvclientpackage command again, everything will work, I promise. (Elevated permissions, of course.)

Cheers,

Ilya

Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:18 PM