RPC server is unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem when trying to install MOM Agent on my Computer.

I'm Trying to install the agent from MOM that installed on the ForeFront server.

I keep getting this error:

Error Code: -2147023174

Error Description: The RPC server is unavailable.

Microsoft Installer Error Description: No Description Available

I should mention that there is no Firewall enabled on the client computer and the Forefront server and there are no other applications that can block any ports (SecureClient, Antivirus etc.).

I followed the article below but it is only for computers with Firewall enabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885726

.Thanks.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late response.

I'm not sure what solved the issue, but its working now.

Like you suggested, I tried to install to MOMAgent.msi file directly from the beginning but it didn't work. After trying to install the agent through MOM with no luck, I tried to install the MOMAgent.msi again and suddenly it worked. I also opened port 1270 on XP firewall (although the firewall is off). Do you think it helped? I'm not sure...

I will check this issue on other clients next week, and update you if the problem occurs again.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Avi,

Thanks for the post.

Are you trying to install just the MOM agent on your client computer? I am trying to understand how you deploy FCS agent...

To answer your question, other possible causes of this error are:

• agent and server are in different (untrusted) domains
    • action account does not have required privileges on remote computer

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 7:17 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply.

At the moment I'm trying to install only the Mom Agent. I'm going to install the FCS agent manually (ClientSetup.exe).

Regarding your suggestions:

• Both agent and server are on the same domain.
    • The action account is a domain administrator. When trying to install the agent with other credentials (my user and password(Domain Admin, Enterprise Admin), the installation fails too.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 7:51 PM
  • Hi Avi

Are you trying to install the MOM agent using the MOM administrator console, or running the MOMAgent.msi on the client machine?  I would suggest running the MOMAgent.msi directly on the client machine (it can be found under the \client directory) and entering in the appropriate values.  If that is successful, then it points to an issue with the MOM server attempting to access the client machine. 

The FCS clientsetup.exe installs the MOM agent as part of the automated setup, so you can bypass the additional step of installing the MOM agent manually

Hope this helps

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:11 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late response.

I'm not sure what solved the issue, but its working now.

Like you suggested, I tried to install to MOMAgent.msi file directly from the beginning but it didn't work. After trying to install the agent through MOM with no luck, I tried to install the MOMAgent.msi again and suddenly it worked. I also opened port 1270 on XP firewall (although the firewall is off). Do you think it helped? I'm not sure...

I will check this issue on other clients next week, and update you if the problem occurs again.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Hi Need some help

i tried installing the MOM agent to XP machines with SP2 if i disalble the windows firewall it installs.

I added all the ports needed for the agent in the firewall but it will not install i have used the suggestions

that microsoft give but with no joy

Maybe you know another way to solve this issue

Thanks

Ralph

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 12:00 PM