I'm currently using a 64bit wep key RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using a 64bit wep key that I've manually entered onto my XP laptops in my domain.

I know this is not only a poor way of to get wireless laptops onto my network but it's insecure too.

I'm now aware that some of my pupils are now using a linux live cd to "discover" my wep key.  I'm running a pure Windows Server 2003R2 domain and I do have an ISA 2006 server used only to filter the web i'm afraid.

I know my access points support 802.1x with "radius Servers" but I'm afraid I don't know what a radius server is?

Does anyone know of a quick start guide to better wireless security in a Windows environment.  I saw wireless settings in GPMC but again they pointed to radius servers. 

I'm afraid I don't even know the concept of how wireless security works with radius servers?

cheers for any help?

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well your issue is not NAP related. its more or less wireless configuration related. But Ill give it a microsoft spin:)

Microsoft offers IAS(radius). It comes built into all server platforms that are current. The trick is setting it up to match your domain and your wireless vendors requirements.
    There is not alot to the setup but you have to know what needs to be done. Nobody here can tell you that because it depends on your wireless vendors needs.

Also DOT1x is your authentication type. You still need a better encryption. TKIP is pretty standard but the .11n only supports AES wich is the best available encrytpion.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

If you are looking for information on how to deploy a secure wireless environment, see the following Microsoft whitepaper.

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=269902e8-fc41-4eb1-9374-44612e64f0fb&displaylang=en%3E

A good starting place for all things wireless, see www.microsoft.com/wifi

Clay Seymour - MSFT
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:34 AM
  •  Thanks for the help...

It looks way more complicated than I'd imagined! I may manually enter a long WPA key instead. x90 :(

Sorry this is in the wrong area!  but the document covers xpsp2 laptops, any idea how I'd connect other wireless devices e.g. printers, ip cams?

Monday, June 30, 2008 11:35 AM