Printing from Edge Browser to Server Print queue job storage RRS feed

• Question

• Spec.

Windows Server 2016 Print Server
    HP Color LaserJet Enterprise MFP M681z using the HP Universal Printing PS driver.  Version 61.215.1.23029
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Clients using Edge Browser

So our network print queues are setup forcing all jobs to go to a Job Storage Hold Queue

*Below is a screen shot of the printing defaults from the Server.  We use the HP Universal Drive to remove the option for users to turn off the job storage option.  The job storage "User name" setting creates a stored job on the printer in the users name.

Printing from ANY application (Office, IE, Chrome etc) except the Windows 10 Universal Apps (Photos, Edge, etc) works as expected.

For instance if user JSMITH, prints a word document to the network printer above, he goes to the printer and his stored job is stored under JSMITH as expected.  If this user prints anything from the Edge browser it defaults to the username of the admin who setup the queue on the server.  The admin just so happens to me.  We've attempted to have another admin setup the print queue on the server and the same thing happens.
    I've attempted using a different HP Driver( PCL, direct printer driver/non-universal) with the same results.  

I've kind of come to a road block and am wondering if anyone is seeing this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description,  I suggest that you clear cache for Microsoft Edge by the following steps try to print again:

1. In the top right hand corner you'll see three dots in a horizontal line. Clicking here opens a drop down that reveals the settings option. Select Settings.
    2. Once in settings, select Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the box before Cached data and files and click Clear. 

If the issue still persists, please create a new user account to check if it can print from Microsoft Edge with a new user.

If the issue still persists, you can download HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows.

Hope these are helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 11:35 AM
  • Sorry, I wasn't super clear.  Its not just happening in Edge, its happening in any Universal APPX Windows 10 app. Like Photos etc...

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Please follow the suggestions above to test and create a new user account to check if the issue still persists.

Would you like to tell me the result in your reply?

Best.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:23 AM
  • Tried with 3 separate accounts on fresh machines that have not been logged in before.  When printing from any Universal App like Microsoft Photos, Edge, etc.  When printing it does not follow the local settings of the printer to create the job storage profile by using the logged in username, it bypasses it.  

If you print from Word, Excel, non-universal, non-appx programs, works fine.  

Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:08 PM
  • Small update.  When I referred to using the PCL driver in my original post that wasn't actually true.  The queue was still defaulting to the universal driver.  I can confirm This does NOT happen when using the PCL6 driver for the specific printer, in this case the HP Color LaserJet MFP M681 M682 PCL-6 version 8.0.1329.4743.

So looks to be an issue with the universal print driver working with the Universal Windows apps...  

Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

Would you like to use process monitor to check differences of printing between desktop app and Windows app?

You can share screenshots through OneDrive and attach the shared link in your reply.

Note: Please ease your privacy in the picture. 

Best

Friday, September 7, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Morning, So here are some screenshots from process monitor.

The main difference I see is Word uses the spool service and Edge/Windows UniversalAPPS uses something completely different the printdialog.exe  I can't see anything easily online that explains why it uses one of the other or why it works fine under the spool service and not the other.

Monday, September 10, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Hi, 

Please save process monitor result as .PML file and share files through OneDrive. You can attach the shared link in your reply.

Best

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Here's the PML's.  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Rj9fh_ezRr0rslA_gOFvpCBmnTUjoXIH

Thanks!

• Edited by dquattlebum Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:30 PM edit
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:30 PM