Installing windows 7 64bit ultimate on to a new build with a 1T hard drive. Do i need to partition hard-drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am installing windows 7 ultimate (64bit) on to a clean hard drive.  The HD is 1T in size.  Should i partition my hard drive?  If so why?  Since i only have a single HD does it REALLY matter?

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• This is a question you will have to answer. There is no fault tolerance on a single drive, that is correct. Windows 7 will happily handle a single 1TB partition.

However, partitioning the drive helps not for fault tolerance, but for system reinstalls. If you separate a system partition from a data partition, you can format just the system partition to reinstall windows while keeping the data intact on the separate partition.
    This is how I partition all my drives, actually.
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Steding Friday, January 21, 2011 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:13 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you have more questions, I suggest that it is better to start a new topic and explain in detail.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:39 AM

All replies

• This is a question you will have to answer. There is no fault tolerance on a single drive, that is correct. Windows 7 will happily handle a single 1TB partition.

However, partitioning the drive helps not for fault tolerance, but for system reinstalls. If you separate a system partition from a data partition, you can format just the system partition to reinstall windows while keeping the data intact on the separate partition.
    This is how I partition all my drives, actually.
    • Proposed as answer by Chris Steding Friday, January 21, 2011 7:38 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:17 PM
  • On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:20:00 +0000, welchs101 wrote:

I am installing windows 7 ultimate (64bit) on to a clean hard drive.  The HD is 1T in size.  Should i partition my hard drive?  If so why?  Since i only have a single HD does it REALLY matter?

For answers to those questions, you might like to read this article
    I've written: "Understanding Disk Partitioning" at
    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Friday, January 21, 2011 8:03 PM
  • thanks to both of you.  Very good information.

If i may i would like to ask a few related questions.

How do you image files........what software?

I think i read on one of the sites i visited looking for info to image the system and applications partition once you have it "nailed down" and repeat this imaging every so often.  How do you create such an image and how would you "put" the image on your computer if you ever needed to.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

If you have more questions, I suggest that it is better to start a new topic and explain in detail.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:39 AM