Need XP Product for Install of New Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• My old laptop hd crashed and I purchased a new one. I have the old XP .iso dvd from the previous install that was downloaded from MSDN while I was still working. I have since retired and my MSDN subscription has expired. I do not have the product key from the MSDN download. Is there a way to extract the product key from the .iso file, or is there a way to get the product key from MSDN? Thanks
    Friday, November 7, 2014 7:21 PM

Answers

• Product keys associated with a MSDN account are only valid as long as the account is active.  You cannot use a MSDN product key if you are no longer a MSDN subscriber.  I would recommend purchasing and installing Windows 7 since Windows XP is no longer sold or supported.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:37 AM

All replies

• Well insted of xp why dont you upgrade to win7 or even 8.1 because as i am sure you know Microsoft has stopped the support for winxp so you will not get updates from them any more. Or does your system hardware not support 7/8.1.

In answer to your question though microsofts xp activation servers are still operational so im sure you can just buy a new key from ms any way. If you explain your situation to them over the fhone they may give you a key for free im not sure so dont quote me on that. 

Friday, November 7, 2014 11:05 PM
  • Product keys associated with a MSDN account are only valid as long as the account is active.  You cannot use a MSDN product key if you are no longer a MSDN subscriber.  I would recommend purchasing and installing Windows 7 since Windows XP is no longer sold or supported.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:37 AM