WINDOWS 10 1607 Upgrade Hangs at 1% RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to let the Windows 10 update for 1607 do it's thing (normal update), all the way to creating own media using media tool, and the result is always the same:  updates stops at 1%.  Right now, I have an important PC with critical information, that I do not want to "start over from scratch" as there is no way, apparently, even that will work from what I can see (why would it install if the update will not install. What are my options...help....stranded!

PK

• Edited by pklocke01x Friday, October 28, 2016 3:03 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 3:01 PM

Answers

• Please...help....I cannot stay stuck in the viscious cycle of update, rollback (which fails sometimes and I have to restore from image backup, update, fail, rollback.  Very very frustating. 

Win Key + R, type msconfig, click on Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, uncheck all the listed non-Microsoft services, click OK and reboot.  On bootup acknowledge and ignore any warnings or error messages and retry the upgrade.

Regardless of if this works or not, don't forget to turn back on all the non-Microsoft services that were disabled once you're done trying the upgrade.

Friday, October 28, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

This could be the issue on your current system, not the upgrade media.

Please try following commands to scan your system:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Then, try the upgrade again by using the installation media, we'd better try to boot from the installation media, and during the Setup process, choose Upgrade to complete the process.

What about this time?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:25 AM

All replies

• I ran it again, after ensuring all antivirus was off, and all devices not needed, we unplugged.  This time, it sat at 1% for a couple hours.  But then it ultimate crashed and said the upgrade could not be completed.

COntents of setupact.log:

2016-10-28 09:31:14, Info                  UI     Determining whether we should run ConX or legacy setup
    2016-10-28 09:31:15, Info                  UI     Will launch ConX setup experience
    2016-10-28 09:31:15, Info                  UI     Launching ConX setup experience
    2016-10-28 09:31:15, Info                  UI     Inspecting ConX Setup Cmdline
    2016-10-28 09:31:15, Info                  UI     Launching H:\Sources\SetupPrep.exe 

that's it.

the file setuperr.log was totally empty/null.

Please...help....I cannot stay stuck in the viscious cycle of update, rollback (which fails sometimes and I have to restore from image backup, update, fail, rollback.  Very very frustating.  MICROSOFT...seems like a lot of folks having this problem...any better suggestions?

Thx

pk

Friday, October 28, 2016 5:35 PM
  • Please...help....I cannot stay stuck in the viscious cycle of update, rollback (which fails sometimes and I have to restore from image backup, update, fail, rollback.  Very very frustating. 

Win Key + R, type msconfig, click on Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box, uncheck all the listed non-Microsoft services, click OK and reboot.  On bootup acknowledge and ignore any warnings or error messages and retry the upgrade.

Regardless of if this works or not, don't forget to turn back on all the non-Microsoft services that were disabled once you're done trying the upgrade.

Friday, October 28, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

This could be the issue on your current system, not the upgrade media.

Please try following commands to scan your system:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    SFC /scannow

Then, try the upgrade again by using the installation media, we'd better try to boot from the installation media, and during the Setup process, choose Upgrade to complete the process.

What about this time?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:25 AM