Unable to open any document from the internet RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I am having problems opening any downloaded file off the internet in Microsoft office. It keeps going to the office opening page saying in protected view and than it says cannot open but if you want to repair and its a trusted source press repair. Even if I press repair it will never open the document. However, if I get the same exact document from a classmate on a USB port it will open with no problems. This is getting annoying as I have to get all my class notes from other people.

Any advice. I turned off my office defender to see if that was the case as recommended from Microsoft but that did not help at all,

Thanks

Friday, March 11, 2016 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is your Word version?

I'll take my Word 2016 for an example.

Click File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Protected View -> Uncheck "Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet" -> OK.

After performing this above, check the result again.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 8:45 AM
  • After you have downloaded the file, try the following: Right-click its icon, choose Properties; in the Properties window, click Unblock and then click Apply. See if you can open the file.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your Word version?

I'll take my Word 2016 for an example.

Click File -> Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Protected View -> Uncheck "Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet" -> OK.

After performing this above, check the result again.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 8:45 AM
  • After you have downloaded the file, try the following: Right-click its icon, choose Properties; in the Properties window, click Unblock and then click Apply. See if you can open the file.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, March 14, 2016 11:41 PM