none
File in Server 2010 refuses to open if found in cache RRS feed

• Question

• We have at least two files in our Project Server v2010 SP2 that refuse to open if you have the file in your cache.  The hour glass will sit there for about a minute, then the nominal cursor is returned.  Sometimes, you at least get the dignity of a message at the bottom that begins "Closing file...".  You can clear the file from the cache and then it will open.

Yes, we have done a "Save for Sharing" exercise with these files.

With the one file, we have gone through several iterations of schedules.  We at first concluded that the file was impossibly corrupt because it wouldn't open at all.  It wasn't until later that we concluded that the file would open if you cleared it from the cache. 

It should be noted that I was dragged into the forensics this morning and the first version that I was asked to open from the Server would not open at all.  I can't blame the cache on that issue because the file was not yet in my cache.  I took an offline version of the file, saved it to the Server, then immediatly did a "Save for Sharing".  I then saved it back to the Server and published.  I closed, then attempted to reopen but failed in the attempt.  It was later that we concluded that this new version of the file only opens if it is not in your cache.  Other people have verified the same results.

Any thoughts for clearing this issue would be appreciated.

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Do the files have specificities such as blank rows, duplicated resources, resources on summary tasks, VB code, macros, ... that could be the root cause of the corruption?

Also did you try the XML export method to repair the file? Check for the method 3 here.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Chris --

I would strongly suspect that your local cache may be corrupted, as that could certainly cause the problems you are experiencing.  To resolve a cache that is corrupted, and not just a corrupted project, do the following:

1. Close Microsoft Project 2010.
    2. Click the Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run.
    3. In the Run dialog, enter the following command:  %appdata%\Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache
    4. Click the OK button.
    5. In the Windows Explorer, delete all of the folders and files in the Cache folder.

Now launch Microsoft Project 2010 again and try opening one of those troublesome problems.  And let us know if this helps at all.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Hello Guillaume -

No blank rows.  Resources are not the issue.  I cleaned out any file-level macros.  Save-for-Sharing XML conversions have made no difference.  Both of the files invovled work fine if we copy them to our test string Project Server, which has me wondering if there is something that we need to clean-up on the production server?

This one has been beating me up today.

It would really be nice if Microsoft would tell you why it is refusing to open a file.

Chris

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Hi Dale - this is not a local cache issue because all users are having the same problem with the same two files. 

Yes, clearing the cache in the method that you prescribe was one of the first things we did, and this is how we noticed that the file would open with cleared cache.  We also determined that the file opens if you just clear that file from the cache.

I am suspecting that there is a housekeeping function in the Server that needs to be addressed.  We had an IMS this past autumn that refused to be loaded into one of our new Project Servers.  However, the file would load just fine into other project servers.  We thus concluded that the new Project Server had some mystery issue.  Fortunately, we were still early on and rebuilding that Server was not a big hardship.  However, in this case we have a Server that has been operational for 11 months and now has lots of schedues.

In the meantime, we have told these two users that the work-around is to clear the item from their cache before attempting to open the file. 

We would really like to nail the cause and solution to this problem.

Chris 

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Make sure you have the latest Service  Pack for project server and the latest service pack for Project client.

Also, look closely at your project schedule and see if you see unusual dates, assignments on summary tasks, many resources on one tasks, etc.  From my experience, the schedule somehow accepts bad data. 

Also, do you copy and paste rows in project schedule.  oooh that will hurt. This can really do a number on a schedule.  Don't do it.

Once I went thru a process of deleting half the tasks just to see if I can find where is was.  I kept deleting tasks, until I narrowed in the task that was causing the issue

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, June 12, 2014 2:37 AM
  • Hi Guillaume!

The problem seems to have gone away.  The one thing that is different is that they have decided to make this file a subproject to another file within Project Server.  In one of the corruption-clearing methods in your link, it was suggested to add the whole file into another file, but uncheck the "Link to Project" box.

I would still like to try another test to confirm a procedure before I declare this answered.

Chris

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:39 AM
  • Hi Mike -

We tell our people over and over not to do cut & paste, but they do it all the time.  It winds up orphaning SharePoint Deliverables and Dependencies.  I am making a nice living just cleaning up the mess that people are making by refusing to take that suggestion.  In reality, I would really prefer doing some more meaningful work.

But back to your suggestion, everbody is on a common service pack here.  We are on a government network and we don't own admin rights to the network.  We are on SP2.  The only other thing that I would mention is that most people here access the Project Server via thin client.  I have had my suspicions that we are seeing time-outs.

What still has me confused is why the schedule would not open in one project server, but it would open in another project server.  From a fish-bone analysis, half the blame has to be placed on the file because 99% of the other files open just fine, but the other half of the blame has to go to the server instance if another server instance opens the file.

At the current moment, the file is opening from cache, which has me happy, but the one thing that is different is that they have declared this file as a subproject to another file in the Server.  We still need to see if we can replicate that corruption clearing process.

Chris

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:57 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Glad that you found a way! Please keep us informed!

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hello Chris,

You said that the project open on one server and does not open on another server. I assume you are referring to two front ends for the same project instance. If this is the case the problem sounds like the SharePoint distributed cache is not working properly or the load balancer may need some tweaking. 

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Sunday, June 15, 2014 3:43 AM
  • Problem has been solved.  We discovered the following tech note:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc973097(v=office.14).aspx

Another entity manages our database.  This entity did not have periodic resynchronization of the indices.  We did that yesterday and saw an immediate improvement with regards to our problem files as well as the speed as which thing grind thru the queue.

Chris

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:51 PM