Ultimate Extras? "No New Updates are available..." RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Version 6.0 (Build 6001: SP1) (Debug)
    I downloaded Ultimate x64 (SP1) from technet and someone told me about the Dreamscene Ultimate Extra. However, when I go to "Windows Update" and click on "Ultimate Extras" it doesn't ever give me the option to download Dreamscenes or the Dreamscene extra. Does someone know of another way to install it?

I've even checked "Turn Windows functions on & off" and the "Windows Ultimate Extras" folder is there, and it's checked, but I don't see Dreamscenes or anything...

When I go to "Check for updates" it says "No new updates are available for your computer". And if I go to Installed Updates, there are none listed. I've even "Restore Hidden Updates" and it's not there.

I checked "Turn Windows features on or off" and "Windows Dreamscenes" are not listed. Microsoft's tech support has been useless.

(I think something may be wrong with my Windows Update because when I try to update Defender I get error Code 0x80070057. I googled it and was told the way around that was to manually install the definitions - which I did - but that didn't solve the problem. Someone also told me to use Autopatcher, which I did, so I'm at least up to date, but I haven't restarted my comp yet.)

Please help! Thank you for any suggestions!
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:59 AM

All replies

• Visiblman

It does sound like Windows Update is not working properly. Go to the following thread and follow the procedure I posted there to reset the windows update component.

windows update error 8E5E0442 - TechNet Forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3448011&SiteID=17

If this fixes the problem, please come back to this thread and let us know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Got any more ideas? I really want to check out Dreamscenes...(even though I may never use them...still, it's the principle.)
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Visiblman

Sorry that did not work for you.

I would suggest you use the no-charge email support that microsoft is offering.

No-charge: Unlimited support requests for Windows Update:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 9, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Will do! Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Visiblman

Your welcome.

Let us know when you get a solution for this problem, very curious.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:57 PM

• I am having the same problem with windows update & defender, using the 32bit version of Vista Ultimate SP1 from technet.  Could it just be a problem with the build that's posted?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:22 PM
  • CSapinski

It's always a better idea to start a new thread. There are normally differences, whether it's a different computer, attached hardware, installed programs and etc.

When you start the new thread, answer the following questions.

Which version of Vista is installed?

Are any error messages being displayed when you access Windows Update?

What is the problem with Defender?

What are the error messages?

How did you install SP1, from a download or from Windows Update?

Are there any other problems on the computer?

What have you tried to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:49 PM