is it possible to "reset" WSUS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

is there an option to "reset" WSUS to the state of fresh installed server.

Example:

WSUS is synchronized with Upstream server. After approve/decline Cleanup Wizard did the job.

Is there an option for Removing all Approved Updates. Just to have as before first sync or only reinstallation will be an option?

Thx. 

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Pob579,

As far as I know, it could not be reset.

Here is a post of similar question, check if it helps:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0b5073d8-be42-493a-8612-d67426cefbc3/reset-wsus-to-default-installation-state?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 18, 2015 3:13 AM
  • is there an option to "reset" WSUS to the state of fresh installed server.

Example:

WSUS is synchronized with Upstream server. After approve/decline Cleanup Wizard did the job.

Is there an option for Removing all Approved Updates. Just to have as before first sync or only reinstallation will be an option?

Is it that you wish to set all Approvals to be Not Approved?
    > There may be custom scripting solutions available for this, you can check the Script Gallery or blogs

Or, is it that you wish to delete the existing content for all Approved updates?
    > If an update is Approved, WSUS will ensure the content must remain available, so that a client can download the content for installation if detected as required.

Or, do I misunderstand the question?

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, December 19, 2015 7:00 AM
  • I mean clean like after installation and before first synchronization..

I guess the simple way will be  Uninstall and reinstall.

And Uninstall should basically clean all the traces from previous one.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:06 PM
  • there is no "reset" like this, AFAIK.

uninstall, detach+delete the SUSDB, delete the WSUScontent, uninstall IIS, then reinstall, would be my suggestion.

Probably simpler to reinstall Windows.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Saturday, December 19, 2015 9:45 PM
  • yes I did uninstall on one 2008 (3 sp2) that was glitchy on IIS level after install.

Reinstalled it without errors. Was pretty quick.

Thanks Don.

Sunday, December 20, 2015 2:47 AM